PDA

View Full Version : Power supply failed? Will not boot - but nearly does!

nandrews
14-03-2005, 09:21 PM
My PC, that normally stays on for days at a time, auto shut down last night
and now will not start.

When I press the 'push to start' button I get nothing but as I release the
button the fans briefly jump and the speakers click.
If I immediately press the button again I get nothing.
If I press and hold the button for a few seconds (to release the 'flea
power') then, again, as I release it the fans jump again.

Following the suggestion in another thread I pulled all the PSU connectors and tried linking the green and a black socket in the motherboard plug. Nothing happens. But neither does the 'push to start' button, now I have pulled the connectors.

I am still not sue if this is a PSU problem. Can someone give me some clues?

Thanks

Nigel

nandrews
14-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Just me again - to turn on email notification<s>!
Nigel

Agent_24
14-03-2005, 09:41 PM
shorting the green wire to ground will only work if you have a standard PSU (not dell or compaq, etc) and if you have a macintosh i expect it would be completely different....

If it is a standard PSU, then the problem might be with pulling ALL the plugs - some PSU's only start if they have a load, so try connecting just the harddrive and or CD-rom and then try.

If that doesn't work, then the psu may be dead, so try swapping it for a known working one from a different PC

nandrews
14-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks Agent,

That got me resolved, though I'm not quite sure how?

The PSU and fan did start with your method. But the 'push to start' button didn't. So I reconnected the motherboard. The whole thing immediately restarted for a second or two and then stopped. Then I tried the 'push to start' and held for the flea power again and this time it started and booted normally.
I think I will turn of hibernate for now!

Thanks for your very quick help on this one.

Nigel

Greg
15-03-2005, 12:03 AM
Have you checked the power plug in the back of the psu - may be a tad loose - I've known some plugs that need a fair bit of extra pressure beyond what appears to be fully in.

nandrews
15-03-2005, 12:23 AM
Greg,

Thanks for that. The power plug has been in and out a few times over the last few hours. But I will make sure.

Nigel