PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive replacement advice

fatty
14-03-2005, 07:26 PM
I have a question...great. nwo i got my seagate 80gb HD in july last year from a store which shall for the meantime remain nameless. I was only given a one year warranty. after 6 months it crapped out cositing me 74gb of data.

i managed to get it bak to them last week as i went overseas and got a replacement this week, having been told that they wuld call me wen i came in, which thye didnt.

now i tell the guy that seagate have 5 year warranty's now however, he laughed and said seagate wuld never do a 5yr warranty and refused to change the warranty. but more to the point, he even refused to give me a new warranty (only 12mths according to him) to go with the new hard drive and instead said that the warranty only covers me from the original invoice date. I was not happy with this, however is this correct?

thanks

PaulD
14-03-2005, 07:54 PM
The dealer's 1 year warranty was on your original drive. At that time the manufacturer's warranty was probably also only 1 year. Seagate's warranty changed to 5 years for drives bought from Seagate after 26th July 2004. You can check the manufacturers warranty status of the replacement here
http://www.seagate.com/support/service/index.html

fatty
14-03-2005, 08:24 PM
yea mine missees out by 2 days but it also says that drives shipped after june? and also shouldnt the warranty be updated after replacement?
thanks

PaulD
14-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Which misses, the original or the replacement? The original retailers warranty normally doesn't get extended if the original is replaced. If something took ages to get repaired I would push for an extension to cover the lost time.

pctek
14-03-2005, 10:49 PM
The warranty doesn't start all over again when you get a replacement. Imagine more faults - they could end up replacing it for the rest of your life.
Its from the time you bought the original one.

As you are only 2 days off - I guess you mean from when Seagate chnaged it to 5 years - I'd contact Seagate directly and explain the situation to them.

And you should mention the name of this ***** shop so we can all avoid going there in future.

Rob99
14-03-2005, 11:38 PM
I thought seagates warrenty went from 2 or 3 years to 5.

You are covered.

fatty
15-03-2005, 06:04 PM
ok, its just the website said that, i'll get the quote "Repaired, replaced or exchanged Product will be warranted for the repair warranty period in effect as of the date the repaired, exchanged or replaced Product is shipped by Seagate, or the remainder of the original warranty, whichever is longer." I take this to mean that you get the warranty applicable at the time you have it replaced that is the longest?

but i had a logitech steering wheel and after 11months i took it back as it was faulty, where they replaced it with a brand new one and gave me a new 12mnth warranty. after anutha 10mnths or so, the exact same problem occured, at which time they again replaced and gave me 12 months. with the new one having the problem straight out of the box, they gave me a full refund on the spot.

anyhow, the shop keeper maintains it is only 1 yr warranty. he was extremely rude and altho i didnt end up being too friendly myself, i resented the fact that he spoke down to me and treated my like a dumass acting like he was superior. the shop in question is ezycom on k rd.

a hard drive is obviously made to lsat longer than 12mths neway, so the CGA should cover me, in the meantime I wont be and wuld recommend that people dont go to this store.

cheers all

pctek
15-03-2005, 08:47 PM
but i had a logitech steering wheel and after 11months i took it back as it was faulty, where they replaced it with a brand new one and gave me a new 12mnth warranty. after anutha 10mnths or so, the exact same problem occured, at which time they again replaced and gave me 12 months. with the new one having the problem straight out of the box, they gave me a full refund on the spot.

cheers all
Shop hadn't been around that long? Bet he wont do that again.
Its the same whether its PC hardware or a car or an appliance or whatever you buy, the warranty does not go on and on.

Rob99
16-03-2005, 01:12 AM
If your HD packed up with one day left on the warenty, and they replaced it with a new one on the same day, the new one went for one day then packed in, you would be stuffed and have to buy a new HD, because the warrenty for the origional purchase has expired.

I think that is a load of rubbish.

fatty
16-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Shop hadn't been around that long? Bet he wont do that again.
Its the same whether its PC hardware or a car or an appliance or whatever you buy, the warranty does not go on and on.

It was electronic botiques where i got my steering wheel from.

pctek
16-03-2005, 08:03 PM
It was electronic botiques where i got my steering wheel from.

Oh well in that case..........
Seeing as they allow people to return opened software too.......

Billy T
16-03-2005, 08:38 PM
If your HD packed up with one day left on the warenty, and they replaced it with a new one on the same day, the new one went for one day then packed in, you would be stuffed and have to buy a new HD, because the warranty for the origional purchase has expired.

I think that is a load of rubbish.
It is not quite like that, and you could argue the warranty cover with the drive manufacturer, but your best protection comes from the CGA which states that goods must be of merchantable quality. That means you should expect reasonable life in normal use.

If the original packed it in one day after the warranty expired you would still have a valid claim, and a replacement that lasted 1 day would certainly be expected to be replaced in that its anticipated life expectancy should be several years.

The problem is that neither consumers nor suppliers understand their rights and obligations, and they make virtually no effort to try and find out!

You can achieve amazing results with politeness, patience and persistence. As I have stated once before, I have had a dealer replace a car after 18 months and more k's than it was warranted for. I've had printers replaced, digital cameras, appliances, a computer (a week before the end of a 3 year warranty) and more.

You can get anything replaced if you know your rights, keep your cool, don't listen to urban folklore or "mates", and don't give up at the first hurdle.

Maybe I'll do an FAQ on warranties one day.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)