PDA

View Full Version : New HDD

jareemon
14-03-2005, 04:47 PM
G'day im jared... not exactly new to pressf1, i hadnt signed on in the past year so i think pressf1 deleted my account.
After 6 years of using the same old 20gb hard drive, i think its time to get a new one. a bigger and preferrably faster one.
I have a standard 20gb hdd, not sure how fast it is but i think its 5400rpm, i would know, but i have not had much contact with computers for the last year so ive forgotten a lot of geeky things (not sure weather thats good or bad).
I need to know weather i can use an ATA133 hdd in my boring ex-millenium edition computer (am upgrading it bit by bit), and what limitations there are, as to what kind of hard drive my computer can take without having to replace the motherboard.
Anyone care to help?
J

Graham L
14-03-2005, 04:57 PM
You should be able to use an ATA133 drive. Of course it might not talk to the computer at 133, if the MB IDE controller doesn't go that fast. :D

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Any hdd should work, it would only be if u wanted to update the CPU, that you would have to update / replace the motherboard.

What operating system is installed, or r u going to install on the new hard drive??

It may not be as fast as it should be, dependng on how old your system is.

jareemon
14-03-2005, 05:06 PM
ANY hard drive? are you suuuure about that? what about a serial ATA?
i have XP pro on it, and planning on keeping it like that until windows 2006 :p
umm the system is not all that bad, just a lil old. I may actually get a new motherboard and cpu anyway, havent decided yet. whats the difference between micro ATX and plain old ATX?
J

Graham L
14-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Of course, if you haven't got a serial ATA interface, a serial drive would make a very good paperweight.

jareemon
14-03-2005, 05:12 PM
try twelling that to speedy gonzales :D

KatiMike
14-03-2005, 05:18 PM
any ATA 100/ 133 HDD from one of the big players would be a step forward - look for 7,200 rpm and 8192K cache if you can . For example a 120G Seagates about $150 :)

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Micro ATX are smaller (the motherboards), than ATX arent they?

Like the Shuttle cases??

They come in cases a LOT smaller than normal ATX cases, and what u see is what you get! You wont get anything else in the case.

Of course u wont get SATA, unless u buy a PCI card with SATA on it. Or a mobo with SATA onboard.

jareemon
14-03-2005, 05:25 PM
and if i get, for example, a p4 mobo, can i chuck any p4 cpu in it or does it have to be a specific speed etc?

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2005, 05:37 PM
Depends what brand/model. Most P4's now go to 3.2 or higher.

You'll have to read the info on the mobo site, on the mobo ur going to get on what it supports (the highest P4 CPU it can take).

BUT you may have to replace the mobo and memory u have to use a P4 CPU.

KatiMike
14-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Two current sockets for P4 - socket 478 [ older] and socket 775 , CPU must match !!!

Metla
14-03-2005, 05:44 PM
hmmm...

The size of a new HD will depend on what the limitations are of your Motherboard and OS. If your comp is quite old you may have trouble getting it to recognize a large modern HD.

As to the P4 question, You need to get a CPU and Mobo that have the same socket, some of them are only available in limited numbers so don't go buying a mobo and hope to find a cpu for it in a years time, Beside that if money is an issue then go AMD, if performance is an issue go AMD, if value for money is an issue then go AMD.

Anyone feel free to chime in with a reason to go P4, I can't think of one.

Your best bet is to buy the necessary parts to upgrade in one hit, from one supplier. This will ensure everything is compatible and that you get the best price.

You will find though that upgrading an older comp means replacing it in its entirety, New hd means new mobo, which means new cpu, which means new ram, then the extra power requirements mean new psu....

Metla
14-03-2005, 05:45 PM
and M-ATX is much bigger then a shuttle,they generaly have plenty of room for multiple harddrives, Though heat becomes an issue when you cram them full of gear....