PDA

View Full Version : How quickly do hardware prices drop?

saikou
14-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Hello,
When I return to NZ in August I will be buying a new computer. Currently my mobo of choice is the Asus P5AD2-E which I can get for about 25% less here than I can in NZ.

My question is, do you think the Asus P5AD2-E will have dropped in price a little by August? Cause I'd rather buy in NZ as sometimes international warranty can be a hassle, or some companies like Samsung won't do it.

I don't watch hardware prices enough to know..

Thanks.

godfather
14-03-2005, 01:16 PM
It really depends how the local vendors purchase, and how the (current) record NZ dollar high against the $US is reflected. Currency fluctuations are probably the major factor.

People complain when local prices go up, so some vendors may hedge against the $ fluctuations, which means when the $ improves, they cannot gain on that until the hedge contract expires.

So I doubt that there is any single or simple answer. You pay your money and take your chance.

But by August the Motherboard will be obsolete anyway.

Metla
14-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Where your item of hardware sits on the update cycle also has an effect, If they flip over to a new cpu design then the cost of the motherboards using the old design plummet,apart from the highend models which tend to hold their value.

So, as Godfather suggested, pay your money and take your chances,August is a long way off in terms of hardware,with no garentee that the motherboard your after will even still be available, though if your buying off a quality vendor they should be able to do some soothsaying.....(which is a double edged sword,someone full of crap could tell ya a load of crap,and some honest Joe with the best intentions may steer you wrong)

saikou
14-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks.

As far as being obsolete, as long as it's still available that's good enough for me. After all it's (apparently) top of the line right now. My current mobo is an Aopen that wasn't even a great board 2 years ago when I got it.

Please don't mention the NZ dollar. Each point up means my yen savings are worth significantly less. :horrified

Nomad
14-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Check with a price search engine in Canada near Aug.
In NZ you can use www.pricespy.co.nz and link around and bookmark some of the stores that interest you ...

Compare and make a decsion close to Aug.

Prescott
14-03-2005, 03:17 PM
once you buy pc gear and leave the shop its out dated, it seems just like yesterday when my olds brought a P4 1.8ghz and now thats sooo slow and outdated

JJJJJ
14-03-2005, 04:47 PM
The answer to your question is really quite simple. The price drops about five minutes after I buy anything.

E|im
14-03-2005, 05:00 PM
By August the P5AD2-E might be obsolete. There could easily be a new chipset out for dual core P4s which would be a much better purchase.

Also if you are going the DDR2/P4 way, you will have to spend a lot on low latency DDR2 RAM to get anything that will beat some of those older DDR chipsets or A64s of a lower price point.

Metla
14-03-2005, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't bank on dual cpu's, at least not untill the 2nd or 3rd generation.

The heat issue remains which means each core will have to be slower then current cpu's,and the second core will largely be ignored, few programs make use of it, or would benifit from it.The only thing people are going to see is perhaps slightly snappier XP perfomance (which is instant anyhow, untill people bog it down, and that will continue to happen) and poorer performance from the likes of games and such.

Even apps will run slower as only the highend ones are designed to make use of 2 cpu's.

When we get to the point where we have two 5ghz cores being used to their full potential......then the tech will be worth buying.

Having said that, Why do people agonise over a motherboard purchase,its not like the current Intel gear is any good.

Big John
14-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Hello,
When I return to NZ in August I will be buying a new computer. Currently my mobo of choice is the Asus P5AD2-E which I can get for about 25% less here than I can in NZ.

My question is, do you think the Asus P5AD2-E will have dropped in price a little by August? Cause I'd rather buy in NZ as sometimes international warranty can be a hassle, or some companies like Samsung won't do it.

I don't watch hardware prices enough to know..

Thanks.

Well I ordered one exactly the same and asked them to hold it for two weeks. However the next day I got a notification from them that the price had dropped by $94 so I grabbed it then and there.

Memory on the other hand appears to be going up in price again. Supply and demand I guess.

Big John
14-03-2005, 06:31 PM
By August the P5AD2-E might be obsolete. There could easily be a new chipset out for dual core P4s which would be a much better purchase.

Also if you are going the DDR2/P4 way, you will have to spend a lot on low latency DDR2 RAM to get anything that will beat some of those older DDR chipsets or A64s of a lower price point.

1GB Dual channel DDR2 533 ram for $364. That is not a lot and certainly lower than I paid for my 1GB Dual channel 400 DDR stuff

The P5AD2-E is also setup for a 64bit CPU so is a little future proofed.

pctek
14-03-2005, 06:31 PM
They don't. Its just that the hardware changes.
One of my first PCs cost me $2800 in 1985. Now if I was to go out buy something new it would probably cost be around $2800.
Or my last upgrade - I looked at the invoice 2 years ago and it was about $1500. This time it was about $1600. Same type of items, just new models.

So the board you want now will not be the board you want in August.

E|im
14-03-2005, 06:59 PM
1GB Dual channel DDR2 533 ram for $364. That is not a lot and certainly lower than I paid for my 1GB Dual channel 400 DDR stuff

The P5AD2-E is also setup for a 64bit CPU so is a little future proofed.

I would only really bother buying OCZ PC2-4200EB (3-2-2-8) stuff and that comes at a premium.

saikou
14-03-2005, 07:29 PM
They don't. Its just that the hardware changes......So the board you want now will not be the board you want in August.

That's quite true and in fact I already knew that.

Now that I look over my post, I see I clearly didn't think it through, and that it should have been one of the posts that I write, yet delete cause it's not really necessary.

I'm gonna blame it on boredom from not having any work to do today - literally. :mad:

Thanks all for your input.

Prescott
14-03-2005, 08:38 PM
i think we paid like $3500 for our 166mhz back in 1995 or something....