14-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Recently I helped my friend build a computer, the main parts being:

MSI KT6 Delta Mainboard
Athlon XP 3200+
Radeon 9600 Pro
512mb DDR400
120GB HDD
(Later on added 2 rear case fans)

Anyway upon installing the CPU I noticed that the heatsink was on the small side, infact smaller than the one for my 2600+, however due to it having a copper base, and thinner fins I assumed it was AMD's way of providing a quieter and smaller way to cool more effectively. (obviously I was wrong)

after installing windows, and the MSI corecenter program, the temp was pretty high at anywhere from 57 to 66 (but settling down to 62).

I searched google and came up with a lot of sites claiming the stock heatsink for the 3200+ was a piece of junk and you'd definently get temps above 60.

Opinion also was that a better cooling fan should be used, either the Thermaltake Volcano 10+, or the Zalman CNPS7000B. (problem with the Zalman is that it requires either a plastic holder or holes on the mainboard, and the MSI just has the standard clips on the socket)

So we chose the volcano 10+, and just to be really helpful - the shops we tried to buy one off all say they have no stock, and their supplier has none either.

At the moment I'm looking for something I can buy that will cool effectively, and also actually fit onto the mainboard - which is something I can't seem to find.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas on getting the temperature down...

(also tried a bios update but that only enabled the gigabit lan :@@: )

pctek
14-03-2005, 08:21 AM
Socket A. So where did you find a Socket A 3200? A bit rare now.
Have a look here:
http://www.overclockers.co.nz/product/cooler/index.shtml

The Volcano is OK but noisy.

|llus|oN
14-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Have you looked at ascent.co.nz ? While they dont seem to list a volcano 10 they do have a large range, including volcano 12 if that would be suitable. You might also look at siting a 120mm case fan (Vantec Stealth are really good) to blow outside air directly onto whatever cooler you decide on. It really DOES make a big difference.

tweak'e
14-03-2005, 11:06 AM
You might also look at siting a 120mm case fan (Vantec Stealth are really good) to blow outside air directly onto whatever cooler you decide on. It really DOES make a big difference.
it only makes a difference IF its done correctly.

desighn your case cooling first. kinda pointless buying a good heatsink if your trying to cool it with hot air. its quite supriseing how many cases have side fans, top fans and do everything except keep the case cool.

Rob99
14-03-2005, 02:26 PM
I tried a Volcano11 on my AMD3200 socket A CPU, it was very, very, very noisey, I was to scared to get close to my case for fear of being sucked in through the small vents.

It only lasted 15min's before I removed it.

How hot is yours? Mine sits around 60.

E|im
14-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Buy a Thermalright SLK-900A and get a reasonably powerful but quiet fan for it. Possibly the best air cooler for Socket A you can get and it uses the clips.