PDA

View Full Version : Sims 2 Install/Load problems

pctek
13-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Yes this is a gaming question but not really.
I know why it has problems - Safedisc 3 copy protection.
Sometimes it will install OK, sometimes not. Then once it has it won't load 90% of the time.
On the gaming forums (inc EAs) theres a lot of stuff about problems with drives reading Safedisc 3 CDs.
However - any ideas?
This is a brand new PC with an ASUS DVDRW drive in it. I updated the firmware.
Didn't help.
The person who owns it, got another copy of the game from the shop and that did the same thing so its not a faulty CD - its the Safedisc thing.
I even tried a hack - Daemon tools and mount the image which should have worked (avoiding the need for the CD to be in the drive) but it didn't. So I think even her install didn't work quite right.
I suggested she try the DVD version of the game but that has the same copy protection on it too. The forums suggest the DVD version was worse.

Jams
13-03-2005, 06:46 PM
this problem always happens with EA games for some reason. it did it with my brand new copy of LOTR : Battle for middle earth (so stoked, cost me $30 at big byte closing down sale). so i went to the EA website, and it told me to shutdown any un-neseccary (i cant sell, i know) applications running in the background, as alot of programs can conflict with the launch process. So i did, and it works.

So maybe try and close as much background activity as possible, eg. Virus Scanners and the like...

either that, once installed, just nip over to megagames.com and download a NO-CD patch.

Cheers
Jams.

pctek
13-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Tried shutting stuff off.
The No-Cds don't work. Thats why I used Daemon Tools, but my point is that didn't work either - possibly as her install hadn't installed properly.
Anyway she's likely to have this hassle with other Safedisc games so I'm wondering - whether the DVD version may be better although I don't see how.
Or maybe chnage her brand of DVD - BTW what brand is yours?

Jams
13-03-2005, 07:59 PM
my DVD player is a BenQ.

but it does this with CD ROM drives aswell.

pctek
13-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Yeah but it may be brand specific is what I meant.

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2005, 11:05 PM
1. Try Alcohol 120% if you are having issues with the game - it _is_ the ultimate ;)
2. The No-CD fixes do work for the game, origional ones managed to b0rk the Construction Mode but that was resolved. This Forum however is not the place to discuss those.
3. Try stopping _all_ services (AV included) and clear out from loading on boot EVERYTHING bar Graphics Drivers (Which I suggest you get the latest of) and restart. See if it helps

pctek
14-03-2005, 08:23 AM
Alcohol to do what? If to mount it then that doesn't help. Same as Daemon Tools.
If to do something else, I thought of that but that still won't help if she is going to get theis problem in the future with her ASUS drive and any Safedsic games she buys.
I am thinking of returning the ASUS and getting a Liteon instead.