PDA

View Full Version : Need some kind of converter!!Plse Help

Ninjabear
13-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Doing a homework assignment on japanese.The listening part is on a cd rom.
I went to the library computer extracted all the .cda files on the cd rom and copied it to my falsh drive.Came bak to the hostel expecting nero to be able to dub a copy for me but it doesn't work.Easy cd-da extractor didn't work either.I was hoping I could convert .cda to mp3 then back to audio then use nero to rip a cd.
Does anybody know what I can do?The library won't allow me to take the cd out.I have all the files from the cd rom on my flash drive and I dunno how to make it so that when I copy the files to a cd I can actually play it on my cd player.Any ideas?

pctek
13-03-2005, 05:53 PM
On a CD, the music track is usually a .wav file that you cannot see, and a .cda file is a "pointer" file that points to that music track. If you open a standard audio CD in Windows Explorer, you can see the list of .cda files for all tracks on the CD, which is like a table of contents. When you put a CD in the CD tray, typically Windows Media Player or another application will attempt to play the music on the CD. You can use Windows Media Player to play .cda files.

Ninjabear
13-03-2005, 06:26 PM
Yes windows media can play it. i have extracted the files from the cdrom all in .cda files.Now I need something so that I can put it on a cd-r and the cd player will read the files

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Use Nero express / select music/ audio cd.

This should let u add the cda files, so u can reburn them back to a cd as an audio cd.

godfather
13-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Have you only got the small .cda "shortcuts" though and not the actual audio files?

If so, these are not the files you need, as they are only the shortcuts to the files on the CD (which you do not have).

What is the file size of each .cda file that you have on the flash drive?

Need to clear that up first I think.

Ninjabear
13-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Thers about 20 files.Each file is about 44 bytes.Kinda make sense because my other audio music cds are around 44 bytes per song.Its definitely .cda

godfather
13-03-2005, 07:25 PM
You only have the "shortcuts" to the actual files on the CD as suspected.

You do not have the files you need, the 44 byte ones are useless. A normal audio track is about 40,000,000 bytes, you only have 44 bytes.

sal
13-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Thers about 20 files.Each file is about 44 bytes.Kinda make sense because my other audio music cds are around 44 bytes per song.Its definitely .cda
But as godfather mentioned earlier, the cda files are just 'shortcuts', they only point to the actual audio. The fact that they are only 44 bytes is proof enough. You'll need to get a hold of the cd again and take it from there, either ripping them off th disc as .wav or .mp3.

Ninjabear
13-03-2005, 07:32 PM
The library of massey computers won't let me take the cd rom out but I can also take my external cdwriter there.My flash drive works there so theres no reason why my external cdwriter won't work.
My friend once told me windows media player can rip cds.Is it possible to use media player to make an image of that disc?

Ninjabear
13-03-2005, 07:33 PM
O man then i wud need a power plug for my cdwriter.What can I do?

Ninjabear
13-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Are there any program that can let me make an image?All i have is the massey library computer,a flash drive and the cd rom

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2005, 07:48 PM
Are there any program that can let me make an image?All i have is the massey library computer,a flash drive and the cd rom

Did u try what I said in my post?? If that doesnt work, then it wont work.

With the files u copied.

Ninjabear
13-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Tried that.nero will not allow me to add .cda files

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2005, 08:21 PM
It does coz I get the option, when I load Nero Express / music / audio cd.

I wouldnt have told u if it didnt. CDA is one of the formats that appear when u click on Add.

Did u load Nero Express not Nero?

I would say if it didnt work (if u did the above), those CDA files u copied dont work .

If u dont have a power connection for the burner, you'll have to get an adapter/extension, so it gets power from another device.

Greg
13-03-2005, 08:31 PM
If your flash drive is big enough to hold the entire contents of the cd, I can't see why you can't just copy the whole thing, then on your own pc just burn it to another disk from the flash drive.

Ninjabear
13-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Yea i was using nero express.Apparently i think i found another way.Use windows media player to extract the cd and conver them the wma format.Use nero express aand click make an audio cd.That should work..I hope....

Ninjabear
13-03-2005, 08:46 PM
My flash drive is 128mb.I tried copying.Right click on the files and copied them to the flash drive but all i got was 44 bytes worth of each file.Right click and copying just doesn't work

godfather
13-03-2005, 09:18 PM
The CD will probably be about 700 MB in size.

Unless you can rip the files to MP3, they will not fit on a 128 MB drive anyway.

quarry
13-03-2005, 10:11 PM
i'm not trying to stir things up, but - isn't what this guy trying to do is illegal -copying a commercial cd? and you're not supposed to ask for help on this sort of thing.
should i tell the library?
one guy got convicted copying music cds at the library sometine ago.

godfather
14-03-2005, 09:24 AM
My thoughts as well.

Is the CD a "public domain" non copyrighted CD?

Do the library allow it to be copied?

It is possible, but we just don't know.

PaulD
14-03-2005, 09:43 AM
It's source material for a Japanese language assignment not ripping music. The library probably doesn't have as many lending copies as students and they are all using the referance only copy. What are you going to tell the library, that Ninjabear is the only student that can't copy CDs yet? :-)

quarry
14-03-2005, 02:23 PM
It doesn't matter what the CD is - is it a commercial CD - even language CDs, such as from Massey Uni have copyright stuff etc on them. I've just helped this lady who has one from Massey - not allowed to make copies. Anyway - he can't seem to do it, I know how & I won't say.

PaulD
14-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Quarry - Are the students supposed to get copies of the CD as part of the course or supposed to buy their own independantly? You seem to be saying that you're guilty of the same thing you're accusing Ninjabear or trying. It seems odd if a course is structured around material that isn't legally available to the student.

quarry
14-03-2005, 09:51 PM
No you got me wrong, I wasn't helping anyone copying a CD, I was helping someone on the computer, she had these CDs as part of her course (has to be returned) & they got the copyright stuff on them. They were created by the lecturer of the course - I emailed her & she said no way can anybody copy her CDs - just to see what the story was.
Just imagine going to a public library - with your laptop or other & start copying CDs - do you think that that is OK? I don't think so, but that's maybe up to the library.

Period.