PDA

View Full Version : Computer freezes after a while

Myth
13-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Heyas, I have a question in the hope that you lot can give me some ideas (coz I'm out of them).

My computer is freezing after a while (say about 15 mins after I turn it on). It doesn' completely freeze tho. I can open start, but cant go any further. I can control-alt-del to select shut down, but thats all I can do with that dialog. An my P2P network runs (the other comp can still hook up online thru my comp even when my comp has 'frozen').

This is what I have tried (software wise):
3 virus scans (Bit Defender 7.2 Standard, AVG 7 free, and Trend Micro online) found some minor ones, had to clear sys restore fles to properly clean, and,
Spybot Search and Destroy. I have run Avg7 and Spybot in both normal and safe modes.
I have looked in msconfig, nothing out of the ordinary.
My firewall isn't picking up any unusual traffic if I am online (this prob happens on and offline).

Any ideas before I reformat (which isn't a problem, all files etc backed up to disc).

BTW I have P4, 512 DDR, XP SP2 40GB harddrive (which is nowhere near full)

pctek
13-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Try Ad-Aware as well - what one spyware checker misses another often finds.

Do you get any error messages?
Does the problem occur if you boot into safemode?

Prescott
13-03-2005, 05:56 PM
what is under start -> run ->msconfig -> start up tab

is there any dodgie processes?

robsonde
13-03-2005, 06:05 PM
could this be a heat issue?

Myth
13-03-2005, 06:07 PM
No errors
The problem didn't seem to happen in safe mode

As for msconfig, I know all the apps in there (Firewall, Spybot, Bitdefender, and a few other apps - nothing out of the ordinary)

Will try Adaware

Not sure rob, how could I check (i.e. does XP have any apps to say what temp of cpu is) but power supply, grafix card, and cpu fans seem (feel) like they are running

Myth
13-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Updated and ran Adaware, it found nothing

pctek
13-03-2005, 06:37 PM
If it was overheating its more likely to reboot rather than just hang. Usually.
If it works OK in safemode then you need to track down the problem piece of software or driver.
What did you do/install before it happened?
CTRL-ALT-Delete - what processes are running that look sus? Trying ending some to see if it helps (if you know which is which).

Renmoo
13-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Try this: Start > Run > In the box, type in "services.msc" (without the quotation mark) and Enter. Is there any suspicious program ready to run or set to auto start? You might want to try MS Antispyware as well, it is rather good. Good luck, Myth.

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Nah doubt it would be overheating. It wouldnt reboot, it'll shut down.

If the temp got too high.

Another thing u could try is get hijackthis and post a log here then we'll see if anything is hanging around somewhere. In the startup.

Metla
13-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Right.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH HHhh.

heat issues can cause hanging,shutdown or reboot, depending on what item is overheating ,and how the system is configured.

And.

If it doesn't happen in safe mode,.....does not mean its not a heat issue, It just means whatever is happening...isn't happening when no drivers are loaded.

Hence, An item of hardware work at its minimum level in safe mode can still overheat when the system is started proper and the device is using all its bells and whistles and a billion times more data is being thrown around the components.

Bear in mind Im not in anyway stating its a heat issue, No info or steps taken have been provided for anything apart from a wish yanked from ones backside,and the previous posters have made enough of those.

To fix your comp.

Software first, then hardware.

Prescott
13-03-2005, 07:15 PM
is your P4 a Prescott? have you got the patch for it for SP2?

Myth
13-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Dunno if it Prescott, how can you tell? Its a 2.6 GHz CPU

I think I found the problem Application - Spybot 1.3

When I finally was able to access and see what was running, I first went to check CPU usage and saw the CPU usage was surging. I then went to the applications running menu and went through the list checking each item - by the way, a real good site for startup apps is ... Sysinfo (http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php)

I noticed the TeaTimer.exe (Spybot) was surging in its memory usage.
Have uninstalled Spybot and am currently d/loading Spybot 1.4 to see if thats any better.
Just thort I would let yas know, thanx for the help, and maybe this helps someone else :)

pctek
13-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Dont use the Teatimer bit (startup) - just run it manually when you need to.

Prescott
13-03-2005, 09:23 PM
to see if its a Prescott, download everest home edition (http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3) and this will tell you heaps about your pc

Cicero
13-03-2005, 09:29 PM
to see if its a Prescott, download everest home edition (http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3) and this will tell you heaps about your pc
Prescott,you must have a great mind,I was about to suggest the same thing. ;)