PDA

View Full Version : Win XP - 'You are required to activate again' + other problems

mejobloggs
12-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Ok, internet completely stopped, across my whole network. (Yes, random to topic, but might be useful info)

Suspect programs: BZFlag, or Down2Home, but I think it is BZFlag. Why? Because it has happened before, when playing BZFlag, and never any other time. It had not happened for a while, so I thought it was ok, and didn't play BZFlag for a while. Then version 2 came out, I got it, had a play, monitored my mb usage on Down2Home, because I am interested. I hardly ever use Down2Home. After 10 minutes of playing, poof, I loose connection. Could not go on the internet. Checked the other computer, not working.

Restarted, still not working.

Restarted both computers, restarted hardware firewall, and restarted router.

Internet works now. Oddly, it said that network drives could not be connected for some reason, but wow, also, it says my computer has changed so much, that I have to re-activate.

Whaat is happening?

Jams
12-03-2005, 11:37 PM
would your router/modem be D-Link DSL-302g ?

Rob99
13-03-2005, 01:20 AM
Have you added any new hardware?
Is all your hardware working?
Have you scanned for virus and spyware?

mejobloggs
13-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Umm, only new hardware I have added are speakers, but that would not force a re-activation.

Firewall is a Snapgear lite, router is a zyxell. All hardware is working.

Could it be something to do with BZFlag using UDP, whatever that is?

mejobloggs
13-03-2005, 03:47 PM
I found some info on my firewall. Snapgear Lite +

"IPSEC
Sending a 0-length UDP packet to UDP port 500 would result in IPSEC exiting. This would result in IPSEC no longer working."

Could that be the problem?

Budda
14-03-2005, 09:42 AM
this re-activation lark that m$ is running is such bs. I have had to re-activate 2 computers at work now because of this. On had the cd-rom changed and the other had secondary hdd's swapped in and out. I know they have it in there licensing agreement but its rediculous that you cant change your own components.

sambaird
14-03-2005, 12:13 PM
If this is what XP is like just wait till longhorn (You have used your computer 2 times since it was last activated please reactivate it)

Trev
14-03-2005, 02:24 PM
I have reactivated my PC so many times that the code that came with XP cd no longer works. I have to ring MS up to get my code. Last time was 6 weeks ago after I had added a ADSL router to my system. I rang MS 0800 number and spoke to some Indian women at MS India with whom I had trouble understanding her english.

Trevor:)

theother1
14-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Trev, I bet she would have had more trouble understanding your Hindi. :D