PDA

View Full Version : Laptop to TV

theother1
12-03-2005, 10:38 PM
I have spent the evening trying to connect my laptop to the TV via 7pin video out to rca plugs and audio out via rca plug.the audio works fine but I cannot get a picture on the TV. I have tried changing settings in the Device manager and in display without success. anyone got any bright ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Rob

godfather
12-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Some clues as to the hardware?

Is the "7 pin video out" actually the (modified) S Video "TV Out" socket, or something else entirely?

Is the laptop an Apple or a PC?

Is the plug you are using one that is supplied exactly for that purpose, or (if a S Video plug) is it a standard one?

Does the laptop actually provide AV composite video or just true S-Video (which does not actually give AV out unless a special adapter is used).

Sorry for the questions, but without some basic data its all a guess.

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2005, 10:46 PM
Hmm what videocard drivers does the laptop use?? ATI? Nvidia??

When I first tried connecting this to the PC(which in the end worked), I found that connecting different connections (like from the TV out on this), it has svideo and RCA. If I put a RCA adapter somewhere on the S-video cable, it wouldnt work!

BUT, if I got a RCA cable from the TV out, all the way to the TV it worked.

BUT this maybe completely different from a laptop.

theother1
13-03-2005, 10:16 AM
thank you for your replies.
It is an Asus A2500T running XP Pro The cable is the one supplied with the computer for the purpose. It has a six pin plug one end(I thought it was S Video but apparently not according to the book) and a RCA female the other end. I have connected this to the TV via a RCA cable. The display adapter is SiS M650_651_650_740.

A paragraph from the users manual:
For times when you need a really big display, try the TV out function. TV-out allows a high definition connection to a TV or Video projection device using super VHS (S-Video) cable (not provided. An adapter is provided for use with RCA inputs available on all standard video devices. This can support NTSC or Pal formats.

Sorry to be so vague last night but it was past my bed time and too many bglasses of wine.
Rob

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Go to the desktop / right/mouse/properties/settings/advanced.

Any options for the videocard appear here??

Normally, there's monitor/general/adapter/troubleshoot/colour management.

Any any options on yours besides these??

Like SIS/Nvidia options??

theother1
13-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Here is a screen shot of the window that comes up following >properties >settings >advanced etc I can't see any ref to the TV.
http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/default_monitor.jpg

godfather
13-03-2005, 12:02 PM
In my system I need to drill down under Settings - Advanced - Device Selection before I get the option of TV.

This is a function of the video drivers, so yours may differ

theother1
13-03-2005, 12:15 PM
No Device selection on mine unfortunately!!!!!

Billy T
13-03-2005, 12:38 PM
You need to set the TV to A/V as well, otherwise it will be looking for an antenna signal. If you had a blank screen with no noise (snow) on it you were probably on the right track, but nothing in your posts so far says anything about what you did to set the TV to match the computer.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

theother1
13-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks BT,
Yes I have it set to Video 1, 0 being TV video 2 being Sky. Video 1 is also where the audio is as well.

Billy T
13-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Well, for a very basic and not always successful test, if the screen on your TV is toally blank (no raster lines showing) turn up the brightness untill you can see something then unplug and replug your video lead. If you see any disturbance on the screen, that would indicate that you probably have a live video input to the TV, and that your laptop is not doing what it should.

If you get no visible effects on the TV screen you might be facing a TV input issue. It is a crude test, but you need to know which end of the lead (device0) to look at for your answers.

When I first bought a DVD player a couple of years ago, I started off using the S-Video input but just like you I got sound ok but nothing on screen. Turned out that the S-video input on the TV was on the fritz so I changed to RCA until I could get around to fixing it.

It is still on RCA! :o

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

theother1
13-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks BT,
still nothing at all.
I did notice that last night we got the sort of momentary flash on the set up I have now, but nothing since. :badpc:

theother1
13-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Sorry to do this guys but I am still looking for answers. (an Answer)

Andrew B
13-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Don't know if it will apply to your situation, but when i hired a projector to run off my laptop ( which connected to the monitor out socket on my laptop ) the guy in the hire shop said to make sure that the cable was connected first, then power up the projector, and last of all power up the laptop. Then the laptop detected that it was connected to another display device when it booted up. I didn't change any settings at all, and it worked fine.

theother1
13-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks Andrew,
I will try it in that order

godfather
14-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Andrews suggestion is valid for a VGA output but likely of no help to the TV out.

Unless the TV out port is actually supported by your video drivers, which should give an option under display adapters, you may lack success.

theother1
14-03-2005, 03:06 PM
thanks for your advice everyone.
I didn't manage to make it work although I did get a brief flash of interference on the screen and made the audio work but there is only so much time you can dedicate to such a problem. It may be a problem with the particular TV I may follow it up later on another TV.
Cheers,
Rob

Graham L
14-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Just a thought ... can you feed the TV from a VCR? If it will handle that, can you then feed the VCR from your laptop, and through to the TV?

theother1
14-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Graham,
I think I tried that without success, but I will give it another go at sometime. I am a bit weary of it now. I started on Saturday night and tried several times on sunday and then again this morning. Enough already!!!! :dogeye: