PDA

View Full Version : Nero For Linux

Sam I Am
12-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Well this (http://www.nero.com/en/NeroLINUX.html) looks interesting. Nice to see one of the big companys supporting Linux even if it does cost you some dosh.

I personally dont use all of K3B's options so wont be hurrying to get this, but still its progress.

johnd
12-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Is it progress? I use k3b on Linux and Nero on XP - I think k3b is better and it is open source!! Why would anyone want to pay for an inferior product?

Jen
12-03-2005, 09:48 PM
I agree k3b is much better than Nero anyway, but I think it is good that manufacturer's are porting their products to Linux. Someone is watching where the market is heading :D

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Im honestly not sure _what_ advantages it would have... Does it still rely on cdrecord and growisofs etc?

Personally I like the idea of optimising the cdrecord/k3b code :)

On a positie note, it _is_ a VERY good sign that Linux market-share is growing. Hopefully this will push Roxio to do similar, and will also push both Roxio/Ahead to port their other applications to Linux (Can you say "Nero Recode"!!)

Chill.

vinref
13-03-2005, 02:25 AM
Well this (http://www.nero.com/en/NeroLINUX.html) looks interesting. Nice to see one of the big companys supporting Linux even if it does cost you some dosh.

I personally dont use all of K3B's options so wont be hurrying to get this, but still its progress.

Since Nero has such a large share, does this mean that all Windows burners that can use Nero, are now Linux compatible? That means a lot of burners. It is very encouraging.

Yeah, I am quite comfortable with burncd, mkisofs and all the other open source tools. I don't think Nero can use cdrecord, burncd, mkisofs or growisofs due to licensing restrictions.

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2005, 09:23 AM
What burners _doesnt_ K3b/cdrecord/mkisofs support?

I dont know of any myself

Sam I Am
13-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Is it progress? I use k3b on Linux and Nero on XP - I think k3b is better and it is open source!! Why would anyone want to pay for an inferior product?

Does it have to be open source? If I had put time and money into developing something like this then Im not sure I would want everyman and his (insert pet of choice here) changing my investment. Lets face it, the only way linux is going to be supported by companys like this is if they think there is money in it for them and Im not sure the open source model will work in that regard.

I agree k3b is much better than Nero anyway, but I think it is good that manufacturer's are porting their products to Linux. Someone is watching where the market is heading

Thats the point I was trying to make :thumbs:

johnd
13-03-2005, 08:56 PM
What burners _doesnt_ K3b/cdrecord/mkisofs support?

I dont know of any myself

There does appear to be some! YOu may remember a post of mine a month or two ago - I upgraded from RH9 to FC3 and my DSE Cyberdrive CD writer would not go with any GUI tool or directly with cdrecord. A new writer and it is all go again - nothing wrong with the hardware though. I believe it was something to do with the change made to cdrecord so it didn't require root priviledges to run.

johnd
13-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Does it have to be open source? .....

I am not sure that interest in Linux by commercial companies is a good thing. As we know, Linux is based on the open source "free" software world view - any possibility of moving away from this (no matter how small) is a potential danger. See articles like: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Ah, but that has been fixed with recent 2.6 kernels :)