PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about upgrading.

Nomad
12-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Hi,

I been thinking about this, would be grateful for some feedbacks. I don't wanna spend too much money but decent enof to use for digital photography handling 24MB TIF 16 bit files, and the casual game like HL2, Sims 2, Flight Simulator, GTA (when it gets to the PC), Grand Turismo 4 etc.

First is the AMD 64 3200 that much better than the Intel 3.0 Prescott?
Link (http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-15.html#directx_9)

What sort of PCI Express would be available in the future (other than video cards)? I know the 16x PCI Express for video is there but from the info I have read the 4x AGP -> 8x AGP was not substantial so PCI Express 16x shouldn't see much of a jump either..

Regarding video card. Is the nvidia 6600 GT much better than X600 XT?
Link (http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041222/vga_charts-09.html)
Are the 6600 normals and X300 still good contenders for my sort of use?

I been thinking of:
AMD vs Intel CPU
Motherboard of either Intel 775 or AMD 939
1GB DDR
Video card
80GB Western Digital IDE

Anyone have a opinion on the chipset with the motherboard? AMD K8T800? Intel 915 ok?, but 925XE is bit pricey.

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2005, 03:08 PM
I think its up to you.

There have been a few posts saying this and that about AMD v Intel.

It's starting to go a bit overboard. And what exactly would u want TIF instead of jpeg files?

As long as it has USB 1.1 or 2, anything will do digital photography. If u want digital video u need something that's fast enough and has firewire.

You would have to visit the mobo's site, I would say for info about PCI-E.

I doubt anyone here wld have a clue. And it really depends on how much you WANT TO spend. A decent one may not be as cheap as u think.

Nomad
12-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Yup, I gotta sorta out AMD vs Intel first.. I think its either a $250 mobo or a $400 one .. Think the rest is pretty sorted.

Re: TIF files, I use RAW format with my digital SLR with Photoshop and I convert it to 16 bit Tiff files, yeah kinda a shutter geek :D

Myth
12-03-2005, 03:29 PM
I have heard of PCI-Express, didn't know it was currently available though.
As far as Intel vs AMD... its apples vs pears, each has their strength and weakness

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Well since u dont wanna spend too much money,

I guess its the AMD mobo and CPU. If that mobo is the $250 one.

Metla
12-03-2005, 04:10 PM
hmmm..

Current AMD's spank teh p4 range,as demonstrated

here

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2353&p=7

and here

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2353&p=10

(links coutesy of an earlier post by Murray P)

As to the Video cards, The nvidia 6600gt is the best bang for buck card on teh market,and in a totally different performance class then the x600, Olus teh PCI-E version is $100 cheaper then the AGP version.

as to Motherboard chipset, Go the Nforce4....Nothing else should even be considered,unless you were on a smaller budget and looking at a 754pin chip,in which case I would suggest the Nforce 3.

The K8T800 is a via chipset, I hate em, Just pulled a GIGABYTE GA-K8VT800 out of my rig, It will be one of the first items to be listed on tradef1......

Nomad
12-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Thanks,

For the mobo, both Intel or AMD can provide $250 or $400 solutions... The $400 are quite nice, you know liked by hardcore gamers and overclockers, not that i gonna but its always nice with that option:D

Prescott
12-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Gran Tourismo 4 on PC?? i thought it was only for Ps2

Nomad
12-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Soon maybe the PC gets it... I admit I did see the Ps2 version today at the store.

pctek
12-03-2005, 06:21 PM
A8N-SLI mb.
The GT graphics card.

Metla
12-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Soon maybe the PC gets it... I admit I did see the Ps2 version today at the store.

Gran Turismo is owned by a division of Sony, It will never be released in any shape or form on a non-sony device.

never.

No Chance.

If you want to see what is available then http://www.rscnet.org/

Rob99
13-03-2005, 12:45 AM
Also check out bigger HD options. I never use 80Gb anymore, for another 20-30 you can get 120Gb, you can never have too much storage.

Nomad
13-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the mobo suggestion, yup that one is $380 just gotta decide between the $200 ones and that .. What is there to achieve from a $380 mobo? Do I need SLI or two PCI-E? Firewire is not needed for myself. Both are FSB 800 with inbuilt sounds, PCI Express, Gigalan, same Nvidia nForce 4.

Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 Motherboard?

How much power supply do I need and what about the case with the fan's? I am not looking to overclock. Would the provided CPU fan and the provided video card fan be sufficient with a typical case and PSU?

Nomad
13-03-2005, 03:18 PM
I had a look at the prices of HDDs. My P3 laptop only has 20GB and I'm doing v well. So, I am sort of thinking of a Western Digital Raptor Hard drive (Serial ATA)?

pctek
13-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the mobo suggestion, yup that one is $380 just gotta decide between the $200 ones and that .. What is there to achieve from a $380 mobo?

3 year warranty on it

Do I need SLI or two PCI-E?
Not really

Firewire is not needed for myself. Both are FSB 800 with inbuilt sounds, PCI Express, Gigalan, same Nvidia nForce 4.

Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 Motherboard?
Yes quite nice

How much power supply do I need
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page3.html
Just make sure its a good quality one

and what about the case with the fan's?
Same, quality

I am not looking to overclock. Would the provided CPU fan and the provided video card fan be sufficient with a typical case and PSU?
Depends. Case can affect it too, I chnaged my CPU cooler after trying the stock one. The stock one was also noisy.

Rob99
13-03-2005, 11:16 PM
I only buy Seagate HD's now for the 5 year warenty, but nothing wrong with WD.

I fitted a Enermax Noisetaker PSU to my machine and was totally amaized how much quieter it was, it was 3 or 4 times heaver as well; hopefully that means better quality.

Nomad
13-03-2005, 11:40 PM
Thanks for that,

Time will tell re: noise control.
The 400W should be enof, monitor gets plugged to the wall.
Not getting WD Raptor anymore for now, but who knows :D That RPM and seek time :)

The real hard thing is the mobo, those high end MSI and ASUS are nice but those price tags...

KatiMike
13-03-2005, 11:54 PM
Hi Nomad , everyone has their favourites , I have had nothing but good experiences with Gigabyte boards , and haven't felt the need to spend over $200 to get all the features I need [ once spent bulk $$ on an intel board for a mate who wanted nothing but the best , and only would look at a Pentium...] - ASUS , MSI = bloody good also I believe from reviews etc , Gigabyte are quite inexpensive comparatively tho . Not to get into the AMD vs Intel thing , just my thoughts on chipsets for the mobo ; if you go AMD get n-force , if you go Pentium get an intel chipset - they just work well together . Happy system building !!!