PDA

View Full Version : Router experts: getting IE6 to work with ADSL router?

braindead
11-03-2005, 09:44 PM
I solved this problem once before, but I've bloody forgotten how or where I tweaked it!

My friend's PC (XP Home/SP2 connected to Xtra) accesses the net via a Dick Smith ADSL router. The router is configured ok and works fine i.e. I can update AdAware, Spybot etc via their program interfaces.

But after 2 hours of randomly and blindly tweaking browser settings I've still not been able to get IE6 to access the net. Whatever I've tried, this browser as well as Firefox just came up with 'Page not found'.

Someone walked me through this problem before and it was relatively simple to fix. Unfortunately they are now not available.

Any ideas much appreciated!

John

gibler
12-03-2005, 12:22 AM
What are your network settings on your PC look like.

Start Menu -> Run ->enter: cmd
From the comamnd prompt type: ipconfig /all

Maybe your DNS settings are wrong or missing on your PC.

braindead
12-03-2005, 07:14 AM
Thanks gibler. I'll check that info when I go to my friend's place today.

Simply_Si
12-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Hi Braindead,

Does the router use a http proxy server? It could be that you need to add these details in your browser settings. Sometimes the actual routers proxy server can have the ability to be run in "Transparent" mode which means you don't need to worry about doing anything to the browsers.

The fact that Spybot and Adaware have both updated would suggest that there is nothing wrong with the DNS or IP settings.

HTH

Trev
12-03-2005, 11:23 AM
I run a DSE XH 1169 router.
Try this. Go control panel/network connections/Local Area Connections/Properties/Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)/Properties/Obtain IpAddress Automatically/Obtain DNS server address automatically.

Another thing make sure IE is not in off line mode, click on the file menu in IE and make sure the off line option is unticked.

Trevor:)

Tux
12-03-2005, 11:39 AM
usually i just set up a browser to detect network settings automatically, works a charm

braindead
12-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks all of you. Your posts each contained a bit of the solution which, when combined, solved the problem. The coup-de-gras was the bit I'd forgotten from the previous time: double-clicking on the systemtray 2-screen icon and clicking the rebuild button in the 2nd tab of the window that appears. It's now indelibly etched in my mind! :)

Your help is immensely appreciated!

John