PDA

View Full Version : What's the file thatholds the windows activation data?

Zygar
11-03-2005, 08:03 AM
I'm reformatting soon, and I don't want to go through Micro$oft's bloody game of 20 questions just to reactivate windows xp (OEM copy.) I know there's a file or registry key somewhere which contains the Windows XP activation data, and if you copy it somewhere, reformat, install windows, and restore the file, you don't need to go through the activation process, Windows thinks it is already activated. Can someone tell me what this is? I'm on XP Pro, SP2. Thanks. Oh yeah, and I can guarantee this will only be used for 100% legal purposes, I just hate M$'s ****ing evil business tactics. Seriously, if someone wanted to pirate windows, they'd just get the corporate edition which doesn't require activating. I refuse to call them just so I can reinstall software which I legally purchased.

Dannz
11-03-2005, 08:10 AM
Download Tweak-XP and it will save it for you Look for Save Activation

Zygar
11-03-2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks!

FoxyMX
11-03-2005, 10:03 AM
I'm reformatting soon, and I don't want to go through Micro$oft's bloody game of 20 questions just to reactivate windows xp (OEM copy.)
Don't know what you are on about - it's only a fifty-five second process to go online and get it activated after a format.

Anyway, this is copied from my Cardfile notes but I have never tried it myself:

All you have to backup is two little files! Go to your _:\WINDOWS\System32\ and find a file called "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" back those files up to a floppy, CD or whatever you want to put it on.

When you want to restore these files go into safe mode and put them into your windows\system32 directory. When you reboot you should be activated without actually going through MS.

Zygar
11-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Don't know what you are on about - it's only a fifty-five second process to go online and get it activated after a format.
Not any more if you have an OEM version.
Microsoft makes another winning move. (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nf/20050228/tc_nf/30712)

zqwerty
12-03-2005, 12:20 AM
All you have to backup is two little files! Go to your _:\WINDOWS\System32\ and find a file called "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" back those files up to a floppy, CD or whatever you want to put it on.

When you want to restore these files go into safe mode and put them into your windows\system32 directory. When you reboot you should be activated without actually going through MS.

Do you know what the files are named for Win2K?

FoxyMX
12-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Do you know what the files are named for Win2K?
No, I don't sorry. I only have Win XP, not 2000, and copied that information from a website a long time ago.