PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard model for Compaq 3200

chiefnz
10-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Ok, from my previous post regarding the MS-COA I have transplanted the Compaq PC into a tower case. Now the only problem I have is that I don't know where to connect the power switch lead on the motherboard. There doesn't appear to be any sort of indication on the mobo itself and I've Googled for a while now and have come up with nothing.

Does anyone know what motherboard is fitted in a Compaq Presario 3200 desktop slimline case all I can make out at the moment is...

Socket 370 CPU
SD RAM 133Mhz
NO AGP slot

Chipset is unknown but its definitely an Intel Chipset of some sort.

cheers

chiefnz

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2005, 10:58 PM
I've posted your question in a Compaq newsgroup chief.

I'll let u know what they say, if anyone replies.

chiefnz
11-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks speedy much appreciated.

I wait in anticipation.

cheers

chiefnz

PaulD
11-03-2005, 10:46 AM
If it was an AT motherboard the switch lead went from the PSU to the front of the case. Your tower case may be ATX.

Speedy Gonzales
11-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Hmm no replies yet :(

Umm, can you post a photo? Of what this thing looks like??

And what the mobo looks like?? (If u can that is, if its not in the case now)?

Is it like the long lead u see on most brought systems??

It's connected from the original ps and goes to a fitting in the front of the case, under the on/off button and it looks like a white push button thingy??

Umm another thing u can do is, there are online technicians at the hp site.

You can chat to them directly - in real time like now (all u have to do is, type ya name, and valid email).

You cant copy/paste what the technician/s say, but they send u an email of the convo between u and them. The only thing is, u may get cut off (from this site often).

Go here

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_pagetype=s-006&h_client=S-A-R163-2&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&cc=us&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_query=compaq+presario+3200&submitHUB.x=5&submitHUB.y=5

One of these desktops yours??

Click on yours if its there. Give your info and chat!

chiefnz
11-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Its already in the case but I;l remove it and take a photo of it. I've been through that list already and its not in there.

thanks again

cheers

chiefnz

KatiMike
11-03-2005, 03:06 PM
so PaulD , if this board of chiefnz's is in fact an AT board , it is likely it won't have a power switch connector on the motherboard ? If this is so is there a work-around to allow an AT board to be fitted into an ATX case , or does the ATX power supply need to be changed to an AT one ? Only see one AT power supply mentioned on the Ascent site , and I think it may be a typo [ enermax e265p - dead link] .

Speedy Gonzales
11-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Oh ok then :(

So, what model is this Compaq exactly??

If it isnt the 3200??

BUT as PaulD said, it might be an AT power supply, and the case is an ATX case?? And the mobo maybe, wasnt made to work with any other case, or power supply?

I would do a search for your exact model, and do the same procedure. If u cant suss it out...And get technical help online.

chiefnz
11-03-2005, 03:12 PM
It's definitely an ATX board. It has an ATX power connector on it. As I said before I'll get a pic and post it shortly

cheers

chiefnz

Graham L
11-03-2005, 03:28 PM
If it was an AT supply, it would be already (permanently) wired to its mains voltage switch. It also wouldn't plug into an ATX motherboard. The connectors are not compatible. Not even with extreme force. ;)

tweak'e
11-03-2005, 04:04 PM
actually i have one of these cases in my back room......
the power supply is atx and the switch connects to a block of pins on the mobo (along with the led's). in the old case you will see a block connector, just workout which wires go to the switch (and led's) and translate it to the mobo.
otherwise just short the pins on the block with a screwdriver end untill you find a pair that turns the pc on.

Metla
11-03-2005, 04:07 PM
From Tweak'e "otherwise just short the pins on the block with a screwdriver end untill you find a pair that turns the pc on"

Ladies and gentlemen,we have a winner.This is exactly what you should be doing,takes 5 seconds and works everytime.

Speedy Gonzales
11-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Thats how u usually do it (if u have no manual)

The same row of pins (usually 2 rows of pins), also has connections for the speaker, the hdd/power LED (on most mobos), the atx power connection, and reset switch. And maybe a few more for something else.

I didnt think most Compaq's had wires from the front to connect to the mobo?

BUT I think most Compaq's I've seen havent had ATX mobos either.

Yup figured that bit out after I submitted the 1st post :D

Metla
11-03-2005, 04:23 PM
uh....thats just to identify the pins.......

chiefnz
11-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Yeah thanks guys, after much deliberation my mate's decided to give the compaq a big heave. What I've done in the meantime is setup Knoppix on an old Celeron 700 System of mine. Once he's copied all his files over we'll ditch the Winslows ME and install Windows 2000 which he has on CD.

My ultimate plan though is to leave Knoppix installed thus striking a blow to the belly of the infidel that is Microsoft Windows thereby securing yet another victory for open source OS software and saving another hapless fool from MS corruption.

Of course I could just be overworked and in desperate need of a really long vacation.

thanks for all your advice though. I have learnt something new today :)

cheers

chiefnz

Speedy Gonzales
11-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Hmm ok then. If u were talking about these 2 rows of pins, I was about to post a pic from my mobo manual.

I would say most ATX mobos are nearly identical, for wiring up the front of the case to the mobo.

Ciao !

Metla
11-03-2005, 06:04 PM
You can't make that assumption,the pins can be in any possible array.

An earlier model compaq (Celeron 733) I was working on today has all the pins in one row......

Speedy Gonzales
11-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Well, we'll never find out now will we :D

chiefnz
12-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Just for your info here's what the mobo looks like (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/cq3200.jpg)

cheers

chiefnz

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Hmm that white block (across from the 3 capacitors), on the edge there, is where u usually plug an ATX ps into.

Is that white block 20 pin??

See if the ps plugs into it. If not then the ps is the wrong type, or that connection on the mobo isnt an atx mobo.

I would also check out if u still want to do something with that mobo, what the brand/model of the mobo is. It isnt a compaq mobo is it.

chiefnz
12-03-2005, 10:45 AM
It is a 20 pin ATX power plug, the original PSU was ATX as well.

I don't know if it's a Compaq mobo.

cheers

chiefnz

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Umm the row of pins by the IDE connections and in between the com port connection on the right of that pic, (the pins on the edge), what was there before?? Is there where the old case plugged into from the front?

And the pins sticking out from the edge? Are any of these pins labelled? with letters or something?? like PLED, RESET,SPEAKER,SMI?

That looks like the only place, you would/could connect wires from a front of a case to.

chiefnz
12-03-2005, 12:13 PM
yeah they are the case pins for the led's etc...but they're not labelled...

The com port connector by the IDE slots is for the front USB.

cheers

chiefnz

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Ah ok i gotcha chief. Yer I would do what was said in the previous post connect the ps, then short 2 of those pins with a screwdriver.

When u find the right 2 pins thats the power. And it should boot

Then all u haveta do is connect the wires from the front. You'll soon find out which are which for the power LED etc coz it'll light up, once the power is on, and the same goes for the hdd led.. when it accesses the hdd the hdd led will light.

I wouldnt worry too much if u think it'll fry or something doing this. It wont.

If the case is new, the wires from the case should be labelled with tape or something like hdd_led, power_led, or something.

So it shouldnt be too hard to find out what wires from the front of the case go to on the mobo. Once the power wire is connected.