PDA

View Full Version : USB on old m/c

linw
10-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Honest, I have googled and searched but am looking for confirmation. I have a friend's PCDirect 550 (win98) with P5VX-B Elitegroup mobo and he wants me to hook it up to a USB-only printer he has already bought. I looked at the mobo manual and physically on the mobo and it has pins for USB. Manual says USB (optional). The pins have voltage, also. So I found a USB backplate with cable and header and re-arranged the wires to suit the mobo but boo hoo I now can't get the device manager to come up with any USB controller. The BIOS setup has no reference to USB anywhere so can't enable it.

I have looked at PCI cards with USB sockets but they seem to specify they're for win98SE and upwards. This one is 98, only.

So, unless I can find an update to the BIOS it looks like I am stopped at the pass. Ditch his new printer and buy a second-hand one with parallel port seems the only viable option. Any other ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Whats the revision of this mobo?? See if u can see it on the mobo.

Is it 1.0/1.2??

Also, when u boot up what version of the BIOS is installed and what year is that BIOS??

This look like the BIOS??

http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/p5vx_b.html

It also says here

http://www.ecsusa.com/support/p5vx_b.html

This (if this is the mobo)

Does P5VX-B support Universal Series Bus(USB) interface ?

A: Yes, P5VX-B using Intel PIIX3 chip supports USB function. But the real available time of USB function depends on the time of B0 version of PIIX3. We estimate the available time is the end of June.

Whatever that means.

linw
10-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Thanks for reply, Speedy.
The mobo rev is 1.2.
It is Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
P5VX-B ver 1.4 08/09/1996
Then at bottom of screen, 08/09/96-i430VX-P5VX-B-00

Your URLs point to the mobo, alright.

I looked for a chip marking of PIIX3 but couldn't see it.

The list of BIOS modifications doesn't show USB support added later which is what I was expecting. So if a BIOS update doesn't say USB added, then it likely won't help. Bit of a mystery how the USB gets activated by the BIOS.

Dunno.

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2005, 11:10 PM
I would try the last BIOS update. Maybe its in the service rom??

I would send an email to them, to confirm whether the last BIOS update deals with the USB. Click on the contact link on the bottom of that site.

(better not post it in here). Send an email to technical support.

linw
10-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Good thinking. I will try the tech support route. Will post back if I get a solution. Thanks for your trouble.

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2005, 11:25 PM
No worries there Linw :) HTH

pctek
11-03-2005, 12:16 AM
Win98 isn't designed for USB. Only 98 SE

Terry Porritt
11-03-2005, 07:45 AM
Win98 isn't designed for USB. Only 98 SE

Well,it was actually, and Win95B and Win95C also had USB support , of a sort. But USB is problematic on older boards, and even with Win98SE there are USB updates.

Personally I dont think it is worth the effort unless the BIOS is reasonably uptodate, like after 1999, and preferably running Win98SE.

linw
11-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Just to close this off, I flashed the BIOS with 1.5c and was pleased to see the m/c boot up again but this time with a "USB Enable" option. It saw the printer and installed the dvrs and it seems OK.

I wouldn't use one of these old machines myself but sometimes we do silly things to try to help others. Probably misguided, but there you are.

Thanks particularly to Speedy for help.

Speedy Gonzales
11-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Woot! Good to know its all up and running there Linw.