PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Networking whats best?

lee77
10-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Having just recently joined up to jetstream I needed a wireless network setup to connect to my laptop upstairs so tried using a Netgear 802.11G Wireless Access Point attached to the jetstream connection downstairs & Netgear 802.11G Wireless PCMCIA Card for the laptop upstairs, this setup works however the signal is very weak causing it to drop out repeatedly. Distance from the Access point to the laptop would be less than 10 metres, the connection doesnt have to go thru any walls but around the corner of a wall and upstairs, using an old fashioned ethernet cable just wont do the job. So what is the best value for money Wireless products available for this task as the Netgear simply doesnt cut it!

godfather
10-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Unfortunately the signal does have to go through wall or floors, as all wireless options travel in a straight line (no matter how much you want them to use the stairs instead)

If the floor/walls etc have such things as steel mesh or foil insulation in them, performance of any wirelss will be disappointing.

Even with just wooden walls I struggle to get 20 metres, the specifications suggest several times that are achievable (outside with no objects in between pewrhaps...)

The brand may have little to do with it, all will use similar power levels and frequencies.
The house construction may be the limiting factor.

Billy T
10-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Using an old fashioned ethernet cable just wont do the job.
Why not? It will be secure, far more reliable, and probably much faster as well.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

Murray P
10-03-2005, 08:02 PM
If the computers are going to be static, or relatively so, and you don't have to demolish the house to run the cable, ethernet should always be the first option over wireless.

Maybe in year or three when the new faster wireless standards are implemented in with the kinks ironed out it will be ok for a small LAN.

jcr1
10-03-2005, 08:33 PM
I bought a Belkin 802.11.b set up about a year ago now.

No problem at all in getting a signal upstairs, about 15 metres away and through walls.

Also I can use my laptop out in the garden at least as far as 20 metres away with a perfectly good result (well perfectly might be a bit strong, maybe satisfactory).

I don't know, probably something to do with the environment you're trying to connect in, because I've read that g is superior to b.