PDA

View Full Version : I've lost my windows 98 cd...

lazydog
10-03-2005, 07:13 PM
I (but probably the kids) have lost the windows 98 cd for their computer. I've looked everywhere but cant find it. Is there some way that i can make a backup windows cd off thier computer?. I've got to do something cause the rate at which windows98 crashes (especially with the things the kids get up to on it), the computer will be rendered useless very soon. :help:
Thanks in advance, Lazydog

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Nope u cant copy windows if its installed. And then try and reinstall it.

It wont work.

lazydog
10-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Oh crap. If it aint one thing its another.......
Guess i'll have to look at buying another copy of windows.
Thanks anyway for your help.
Cheers lazydog

godfather
10-03-2005, 07:28 PM
I beg to differ.
I have done it on a laptop, where I burnt the Windows 98 CAB files and directory they were in on the HDD to a CD. Note, this is NOT the WIndows directory under program files. If the CAB files have not been installed to the HDD at the original load it would not work.

The directory contained the "setup.exe" etc as well as the .CAB files

Booting from a 98 boot disk with CD support obtained from www.bootdisk.com, format etc was done. Then I inserted the CD, and ran setup.exe.

Amazingly it installed a full working copy of Windows 98.

Ran into problems looking for some network PCMCIA card drivers though, it wanted the real Windows 98 CD and would not accept the substitute. Apart from that it went just fine.

zqwerty
10-03-2005, 07:29 PM
If you have your instal code you can use any Win98SE CD to reload and then just put in the code you have, so far as I know, and have done once.

Billy T
10-03-2005, 07:32 PM
*cough* Well, yes you can Speedy.

Make an image of your C drive while it is still working OK then next time there is a disaster, rewrite the disk from the image. There seem to be several free imaging programs around now, as well as the traditional Ghost and similar commercial jobbies.

BTW, I do understand you meant something different, but the outcome is still the same.

You can also ghost minus all device drivers, then dump the image to a virgin disk or even a totally different computer. When you reboot after imaging, W98 will find all the new hardware, though some drivers will have to be manually installed. Net result is a transferred OS.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

KatiMike
10-03-2005, 07:37 PM
I've had a similar experience to zqwerty - if you have lost your legal copy of win 98se and yet have your valid key [ or can extract it off the computer ] , you'll probably be able to install win 98se from a mates/ loan CD . If you can 't loan a copy please PM me :)

lazydog
10-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Well i've had a look at some free hd imaging software and it looks abit to complicated for me. I've never done anything like that before on a computer so i'm abit aprehensive to leap into it.
The kids computer with 98 on it is networked to my pc with windows xp home on it. The network connection is only for file sharing and playing games. It (kids 98 pc) does not connect to the internet.

Now heres a few questions that i'd like answers too in the order that i've asked them if thats ok ;) .....
Could i load up my copy of xp onto kids computer?
Would the network connection tell my computer that my xp os is on another computer and cause it to crash?
What would happen if i donn't activate it?
Am i allowed to load my xp os onto another machine at home even though its not going to connect to the internet?
Cheers lazydog.

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2005, 08:14 PM
Would the network connection tell my computer that my xp os is on another computer and cause it to crash?
Am i allowed to load my xp os onto another machine at home even though its not going to connect to the internet?
Cheers lazydog.

1. You could try, but then it depends on how long ago u installed XP on yours. And whether the kids system could handle XP. Too slow, it'll go slow as a snail.

If the kids system had 98, there must have been a reason for that?? Either it wasnt fast enough, or maybe not enough memory??

2. Dont think so. Altho if it doesnt activate, the install on the kids system will die.

3. See 2. It dies if u dont activate it. You wont get in it.

4. Not really. 1 XP cd is meant for 1 PC ONLY.

lazydog
10-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Ok, i've just read the windows xp home booklet that came with my xp disc and it says nothing about not being able to load it onto another computer so guess its possible.
Question is, do i need to activate it if its already been activated?
Cheers lazydog

godfather
10-03-2005, 08:18 PM

No. Windows is only allowed to be installed on 1 PC under the licence. Read the EULA (End User Licence Agreement)

No. It does not work like that

It stops working

No, see question 1.
Activating it (if indeed it would let you) will lock out any other PC using the same copy and key as soon as you need to do an update.

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Cheers lazydog

Yes u do, its a completely different computer from yours.

theother1
10-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Ok, i've just read the windows xp home booklet that came with my xp disc and it says nothing about not being able to load it onto another computer so guess its possible.
Cheers lazydog

You are sort of on dodgy ground here Lazydog. Your XP is only for one computer if you have two computers you need to buy two licences.
There are probably issues with comp running W98 anyway as XP requires far more RAM and HD space than W98.
What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business but when you start saying you are going to pirate a O/S then you need to be careful about who is looking over your shoulder.

lazydog
10-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Doh!, we must of posted bout the same time Speedy G.
Ok, so i'm not allowed to load up my version onto another computer at home even though its not going to be connected to the internet. Got it.

Now, heres another question,
The kids computer is getting upgraded to a P2 400mhz or celeron 433mhz. I have one of each to choose from.
The P2 400mhz is in a desktop case and the Celeron 433mhz is in a tower case.
Which one would you choose to keep?
I'm thinking of the 433mhz celeron in the tower case for its upgrade ability but if you can give me a reason as why the P2 400mhz would be a better keeper, i'm all ears.
I have a 6gb HD and 192mb ram to go into the chosen pc.
Any thoughts out there on which one to keep?

pctek
10-03-2005, 08:33 PM
No. Windows is only allowed to be installed on 1 PC under the licence. Read the EULA (End User Licence Agreement)

Activating it (if indeed it would let you) will lock out any other PC using the same copy and key as soon as you need to do an update.[/QUOTE]
Um lock it out? Not really, depends how you get the update. But yes its naughty

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Now, heres another question,

The kids computer is getting upgraded to a P2 400mhz or celeron 433mhz. I have one of each to choose from.

The P2 400mhz is in a desktop case and the Celeron 433mhz is in a tower case.

Which one would you choose to keep?

I'm thinking of the 433mhz celeron in the tower case for its upgrade ability but if you can give me a reason as why the P2 400mhz would be a better keeper, i'm all ears.

I have a 6gb HD and 192mb ram to go into the chosen pc.

Any thoughts out there on which one to keep?

Err is this on the same motherboard / system as what the kids have now??

I take it the kids system is a slot 1 motherboard? Do you know?

I dont think P2 CPU's have a 478 pin CPU do they? Coz I cant say I've seen one!

I would say the celeron...Altho, I'm not too sure whether P2 would be faster than a celeron. It might be. I wouldnt use a celeron myself.

theother1
10-03-2005, 08:43 PM
<I have a 6gb HD and 192mb ram to go into the chosen pc.
Any thoughts out there on which one to keep?>

Lazydog, you haven't got enough RAM or HD space there to run XP. from memory XP requires about 14Gigs with all its bits and pieces.
I have a comp running Win98SE and it has about 12gigs of HDand the same RAM as you and I wouldn't even think of trying to put XP on it.How old is the computer, I am guessing a few years.

lazydog
10-03-2005, 08:51 PM
The computers i'm talking about are computers that i brought off trademe. They were complete computers that have had there ram and hd's removed. The kids computer (P2 333mhz) will be retired and i will use the 6gb hd from their computer and some pc100ram that i have laying around here.

I wont be using xp on the kids computer. It's illegal. :)
I'll have to get a copy of windows 98 off trademe.
Would windows ME run on a computer that old?

shell49
11-03-2005, 01:09 AM
hi lazydog, Have a pentium 166mhz,15gig hdd,64mg pc100 sdram,windows ME runs fine on this.

lazydog
11-03-2005, 02:12 AM
Thats interesting to know. My first pc was a P2 200mhz with a 3.2gb hd and 32mb ram and i had about 32 crashes a day!(and thats no lie). I liked the program but the constant crashing really pi$$ed me off. Shorely me would rn better on this new system i'm putting together for the kids? or is it just a dog of a OS?.

But anyway, thru the good natured folk here at PF1, i've managed to get my 98 prob solved i hope.
Thanks all, lazydog

Billy T
11-03-2005, 07:51 AM
I still run W98 (original, not SE or ME) on a P166 on a daily basis, it was my main business computer until a couple of years ago and still runs 16 hours a day as a print server, adsl internet access to a subscribed overseas forum that downloads around 100 messages a day, and does all my invoicing and business record maintenance.

It doesn't crash, ever. It does get occasional "out of memory" messages on some programs, necessitating a reboot but otherwise is 99% reliable.

If you had 30+ crashes a day, it was nothing to do with the OS. You had/have other problems in your software/hardware.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

drcspy
11-03-2005, 08:18 AM
lol @XP requires about 14Gigs way off the wall...........xp only uses about 1.4 gb initially....you could certainly run it on a 6gb drive . Yes i know the bells and whistles, programs/apps etc add some extra but NO WAY does xp require 14Gb......and yes you could certainly run it on 192mb ram I've seem plenty of systems runnin only 128, it's not reccommended but it will work. However regarding the original question .......i didn't see anyone suggest that the poster who seems to want a copy of the win98 setup files take a look in C:/windows/options/cabs cause they are often installed there .............you could have them sitting on your pc......if they are there that'll be the cab files and a couple of others that's all you need to have when installing so just burn em to cd and bob's ya uncle.........

Billy T
11-03-2005, 09:22 AM
lol @[b]...i didn't see anyone suggest that the poster who seems to want a copy of the win98 setup files take a look in C:/windows/options/cabs cause they are often installed there ...

Godfather, 4th post, not the identical words but the same principle.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

FoxyMX
11-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Shorely me would rn better on this new system i'm putting together for the kids? or is it just a dog of a OS?. Stick with Windows 98 and if you have to buy another CD go for Win 98SE. I would recommend trying Godfather's method of backing up the .CAB files first as you have nothing to lose. Remember, too, that you are going to need the drivers for your motherboard, modem, graphics card, etc to reinstall after a format. Do you have those handy? It is easier to find out what they are and either back them up or download them off the internet before you reformat.

I (but probably the kids) have lost the windows 98 cd for their computer. I've looked everywhere but cant find it. You can guarantee that just after purchasing another CD your lost one will turn up. ;)

Blade2
11-03-2005, 11:47 AM
right up till xp took over my brother backed up win9x by copying all into a seperate folder using dos and *.* wild cards. Always worked for him till XP of course, deep rooted registry stuff prohibits that.

Graham L
11-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Do a search for *.CAB files. If you find a bunch of them you will recognise the W98 installation set if you see it. (The directory might even be called "WIN98"). If they are on the HD, copy the whole of that directory to a CD. That will be your installation CD. It won't be bootable, but make a standrad boot floppy, and make sure it (a) boot, and (b0 can access the CD drive and your new CD when it is booted. Make another copy of the floppy, and test that one.

FoxyMX
11-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Have people got Godfather on their ignore list or something? :groan:

Graham L
11-03-2005, 04:21 PM
:p "something". I saw one of GF's postings, not the other. :blush:

shell49
12-03-2005, 01:23 AM
maybe you needed more ram. the more ram the better it (ME) will work.(refer last post 10-03-05.)