PDA

View Full Version : New CPU

Edward
10-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Hi. I've just got back from Molten Media. I bought 64megs of RAM, and an AMD K-6 233mhz processor.

It sees and counts up the RAM OK, but I have a few queries about the processor.

1. The last processor it had (a K-5) said 166mhz, but it was actually 116mhz. Has this changed with the K-6s, and is it a true 233mhz CPU?

2. I'm just using the old processor's fan. I've cleared the dust, so will it be suitable.

3. Using the BIOS, I tracked the temp. At first boot, it was 27 degrees. After a Windows ME boot and some stuffing around in explorer, it went up to 62 degrees. The warning level is 80 degrees, so should I be worried. Also, Shoult I have applied Thermal Grease?

Thanks, Edward :)

KatiMike
10-03-2005, 06:49 PM
did you use any " thermal solution" instead of grease ie a new thermal pad etc ??

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2005, 07:08 PM
I would replace the fan. A CPU that slow shouldnt get that hot.

Altho some BIOS'es arent that reliable either, for checking the temp of a CPU.

I think if u get another fan (and heatsink if it needs one), since it's so slow it shouldnt need thermal grease. A good fan, should be enough.

Some mobos, might give u more mhz, if u fiddle around with the switches on the mobo.. The CPU I have here, I managed to get it to 266 and it's only 233 mhz.

Murray P
10-03-2005, 07:15 PM
Hi. I've just got back from Molten Media. I bought 64megs of RAM, and an AMD K-6 233mhz processor.

It sees and counts up the RAM OK, but I have a few queries about the processor.

1. The last processor it had (a K-5) said 166mhz, but it was actually 116mhz. Has this changed with the K-6s, and is it a true 233mhz CPU?

2. I'm just using the old processor's fan. I've cleared the dust, so will it be suitable.

3. Using the BIOS, I tracked the temp. At first boot, it was 27 degrees. After a Windows ME boot and some stuffing around in explorer, it went up to 62 degrees. The warning level is 80 degrees, so should I be worried. Also, Shoult I have applied Thermal Grease?

Yes. One deep fried chip coming right up :rolleyes:

Edward
10-03-2005, 07:18 PM
thanks for that :)

will go and buy some grease from dse tomorrow ;)

Murray P
10-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Thoraughly clean the old goo off the cpu and heatsink, an old credit card usually does the trick, then finish off with some isopropol alcohol. You want it nice and clean and shiny.

Terry Porritt
10-03-2005, 08:15 PM
The AMD K5 166 ran at 66.6MHz x 1.75 multiplier = 116 MHz as you say, it had a 'PR166' rating.

The K6 cpus ran at the actual specified frequencies, ie a K6-233 has a clock multiplier of 66.6MHz x 3.5 = 233MHz.

You will need to set the mobo jumpers accordingly.

Edward
10-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Murry: Don't know if we have any isopropol alcohol, but I'm sure we do have old credit cards ;)

Terry: Just found the motherboard manual, and adjusted the jumpers. Thanks for reminding me :)

Agent_24
10-03-2005, 09:07 PM
was upgrading and re-installing windows on a K6 350mhz

It seemed to run around 45 Deg. with slight variations, so 62 sounds a bit too hot - even my athlon xp 2600 is running around 43/45 degrees on idle at the moment (was 35 in the winter)

KatiMike
10-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Isopropyl alcohol is good stuff for cleaning all sortsa stuff as well as CPU's [ including old LP's ] , it should be cheaply available from most pharmacies

Edward
10-03-2005, 09:21 PM
I'll try to get some new thermal paste tomorrow, as opposed to transferring the 10 year old crap with the finger ;)

I've scraped the old stuff off with the library cards, but don't have any isopropyl alcohol- problem?

Terry Porritt
10-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Or... meths will do.

Murray P
10-03-2005, 09:58 PM
What OS are you putting on this machine?

IIRC, win95 or 98 (or it could be both), had issues with K6's over a certain clock speed, which you will need to hunt down and apply a patch for..... hmm! when I come to think of it is 350MHz +, so I'll just crawl back into my hole and shut up :thumbs:

tweak'e
10-03-2005, 10:29 PM
terry......wasn't it only the cyrix cpu's that ran PR ratings on the cpu's ????? the intel's and amd's used actuall mhz ratings if i remeber correctly. mind you its been a very long time since i've played with those.........

Edward
11-03-2005, 03:39 PM
So I'l need thermal grease, so will this (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4231062708ba60502740c0a87f99066d/Product/View/N1208) stuff do?

KatiMike
11-03-2005, 03:49 PM
never used it , so sorry no opinion
Have used Arctic Alumina and found it very good , and excellent instructions on the site on how to use such products
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina.htm

Graham L
11-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Any "thermal compound" will be fine. It's just to fill the small gaps which always exist between the CPU and the heat transfer block. A little bit of it is great. More is not better.

For IPA keep an eye on the $2 shops ... they often have floppy disk or CD cleaning kits. The liquid in the little bottle is isopropyl alcohol.

Edward
11-03-2005, 06:22 PM
I used meths to get the old crap off the CPU & fan

I went down to DSe and got the stuff, and have applied all of it to the CPU, and its been installed

It's made an effect, but I'm still mildly worried about it (Can you tell it's my first CPU change? ;))

On first boot, the CPU fan went crazy, and in the BIOS it showed the CPU going at 19 degrees, then every 5 seconds or so it would go up 1-2 degrees. Is this normal? Will it eventually stop going up?

Murray P
11-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Well it should stop. The 5 second changes are because it's polling the temperature every 5 seconds. It will take a few to get to full temp and get higher under load.

As Graham mentioned, less thermal compound is better. More = 1mm or more, you only need a very thin, but even, smear over the entire surface. If you put 1mm on each surface (heatsink and CPU) then that is way too much.

Edward
11-03-2005, 06:52 PM
As Graham mentioned, less thermal compound is better. More = 1mm or more, you only need a very thin, but even, smear over the entire surface. If you put 1mm on each surface (heatsink and CPU) then that is way too much.

uh oh...

what actually happens if you put more than that amount on? :(

Metla
11-03-2005, 07:09 PM
What happens?

Heat happens.

Yank her off,clean it again,apply some to the heatsink and then wipe it off so the surface is only discoloured by the paste.

Then spread the thinist amount you can on the area of the cpu that makes contact with the heatsink.

Did i read it correctly and you applied the entire tube?

Thats going to take some cleaning......

Edward
11-03-2005, 07:10 PM
What happens?

Heat happens.

Yank her off,clean it again,apply some to the heatsink and then wipe it off so the surface is only discoloured by the paste.

Then spread the thinist amount you can on the area of the cpu that makes contact with the heatsink.

Did i read it correctly and you applied the entire tube?

Thats going to take some cleaning......

The syringe was tiny!

Ah well... will clean it again...

Edward
11-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Ok, how's this (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/thermalgrease.jpg)?

Metla
11-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Terrible.

Take a lint free cloth and polish the muck off the heatsink, I wasn't kidding when I said you only wanted enough to discolour it, Your only trying to fill the microscopic nooks,crannies and valleys.

Not even looking at the cpu, Im blinded by the heatsink

tweak'e
11-03-2005, 07:56 PM
i wouldn't get to worried, its only a k6. i've seen them glued with silicone sealant and they havn't caused a problem.

later cpu's are a different ballgame.

the highlander
11-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Those little k6's get quite toasty. The heat sink is too shallow (of course not helped by that 'lump o dog turd on top of it'
I have a amd k6 200 in my workshop at the moment (a piece of compaq crappola) that has a quite enormous heatsink negated by the fact that it is cooled by a heath robinson compaq inspired piece of rubberised card board that is supposed to draw air over the heatsink using the psu fan. There is not enough suck at the inlet end to make a lighted match flicker. The heatsink is of course as hot as buggery and is too hot to touch. Put a decent heat sink, thermal paste and fan on it and while a lot cooler the heatsink is still unpleasant to touch for any length of time. My overclocked p4 heatsink by comparison is stone cold.
Get a better heatsink

Edward
12-03-2005, 08:09 AM
So I'll need a new fan. brilliant.

I'm on a budget, so even though it's a different socket (Socket A), will this (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4231ee170e7ecd1a273fc0a87f99071b/Product/View/XH6434) do fine?

Thanks for all the help
Edward

drcspy
12-03-2005, 09:35 AM
lol@nd have applied all of it to the CPU.........ouch.....as has been mentioned before a SMALL amount will do .......I have a SMALL tube of artic silver cost $18 and it's done several cpu's and still has plenty left............