PDA

View Full Version : best spyware programs?

bigmit37
10-03-2005, 05:03 PM
i was just wondering what you guys think are the best spyware protection programs...I am looking into trying out a new spyware program...thanx

KatiMike
10-03-2005, 05:07 PM
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/faq.php?faq=pressf1_faqs_security#faq_pressf1_faq_ 16
lots of info :)

Overdrive_5000
10-03-2005, 05:08 PM
Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Microsoft Antispyware and Ad-aware.

Renmoo
10-03-2005, 05:09 PM
The best? Stick to Lavasoft Ad-aware and Spybot Search and Destroy. You might want to check out MS Anti-Spyware beta. Cheers :)

bigmit37
10-03-2005, 05:09 PM
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/faq.php?faq=pressf1_faqs_security#faq_pressf1_faq_ 16
lots of info :)

wow very indepth...thanks...looks like I have a lot of reading ahead of me.. :nerd:

Trev
10-03-2005, 05:13 PM
I dumped AD-Aware and Spybot for MS Antispybeta, works well and at the moment you get free updates.

Trevor:)

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2005, 05:20 PM
I used to use Adaware 1.05 BUT the stupid thing didnt always show updates from the program itself. If u went to the site there were updates.

And when the program did show updates, they'll install but never updated!
Even if u quit it and loaded it again.

And it wouldnt update itself, even if u manually downloaded the update from the site and put it in the Adaware folder.

Spybot was updated, BUT it didn't detect a trojan / spyware or something that Xosoft, managed to pick up.

So, in the end I deleted Spybot and Adaware, and decided to use Xosoft (which isnt free), by itself. With Trojan Remover.

Renmoo
10-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Hmmm, seems that there are tons of positive reviews and feedbacks regarding MSN Anti-Spyware program. Can someone give me some its pros and cons? Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Well it's only a beta still. And it has had probs with deleting things it shouldnt have!

Go here http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

For info about it

Metla
10-03-2005, 09:10 PM
The fact that they intenionally withdrew suport from the app for customers using Windows 98 is enough to disgust me and give them and their program the Single Finger Salute, Win98 made them billions.

Plus the fact they should be in the business of fixing their damn ****house code rather then competing with the people who working only on donations have helped out millions of MS Shafted customers.

Throw your suport behind MS at your own peril, before you know it this program will be getting patched because it lets in malicious code.

Updates from MS will only be consistent while they have competition.

Murray P
10-03-2005, 10:20 PM
I use, Spybot, Adaware, Prevex and I'm also having a look at the MS one. I have acouple of specific scanners for trojans, etc. I probably have too much, but I like trying things out and will eventually drop one.

MS antispyware does a fairly decent job but, I have to agree with Met's on the MS attidude. Another issue with it, is it only supports IE, MS email and MS chat programmes and, I think media players. To me that is either petty minded or downright dirty. People will load this programme thinking it will protect them completly.

You should never run just one spyware app, especially if that one is the MS one. You should use one main one that monitors activity in real time and use the other(s) to scan with peridically. The main one should not be MS's for reason of the limitations given above. B*.* Stinkers :annoyed:

BTW, there is already an exploit that attacks the MS product.

Rob99
11-03-2005, 03:09 AM
Nod32 is not just a virus program, it will also detect a lot of the other nasties.

wmoore
11-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Give Counterspy a try.

Strommer
11-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Give Counterspy a try.

From CNET Downloads, user comments:

The product is in actuality MS AntiSpyware! The interface is almost identical, with only a few icon adjustments. The rules and databases Sunbelt uses are supplied primarily from Microsoft, which a slight supplement of their own "research." This is because Sunbelt and Giant Software were partners before the MS buyout. The Sunbelt-Giant agreement means that Microsoft must provide product updates to Sunbelt through next year, at which time the two products will head in their own directions.

CNET Downloads is a good place to compare (anti-spyware) programs. Go to:
http://www.download.com/3110-20-0.html?tag=srch_adv

bigmit37
15-03-2005, 05:53 PM
I use, Spybot, Adaware, Prevex and I'm also having a look at the MS one. I have acouple of specific scanners for trojans, etc. I probably have too much, but I like trying things out and will eventually drop one.

MS antispyware does a fairly decent job but, I have to agree with Met's on the MS attidude. Another issue with it, is it only supports IE, MS email and MS chat programmes and, I think media players. To me that is either petty minded or downright dirty. People will load this programme thinking it will protect them completly.

You should never run just one spyware app, especially if that one is the MS one. You should use one main one that monitors activity in real time and use the other(s) to scan with peridically. The main one should not be MS's for reason of the limitations given above. B*.* Stinkers :annoyed:

BTW, there is already an exploit that attacks the MS product.

Thank you...I was just wondering which one do you use as the active version...I am currently trying out the webroot spy sweeper is this any good...Its my real-time spyware program...

FoxyMX
15-03-2005, 06:51 PM
I am currently trying out the webroot spy sweeper is this any good...Its my real-time spyware program...Yes, that one is fine. It is still recommended that you run Adaware and Spybot regularly as well because none of them catch ALL of the nasties - what one misses the others pick up.

Edward
15-03-2005, 06:58 PM
I personally find Coolwebsearch a very good little spyware program

Unless of corse you wanted an antispyware program...

pctek
15-03-2005, 07:30 PM
And run a firewall, configured properly so it prevents a lot of this stuff in the first place.

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2005, 07:49 PM
I hope noone was, or is using Spyware Assassin, as it just got busted, and got shut down / suspended.