PDA

View Full Version : In built PC speaker

Jevro
10-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Hi, i was wondering if someone could help me. I am wondering how (or if) i could make the little in built PC speakers work without running them from a motherboard. Maybe using a battery, or a walkman...?

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Well its connected to the mobo with a connection. And its only 1 speaker.

Its there to tell u when something is wrong - it beeps.

It would work with a walkman, but it hasnt got the right connection/plug on it, to plug into a walkman. You would have to buy the plug, and solder it onto the end of the speaker.

Jevro
10-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Sounds pretty simple. I wonder if i could hook up 10 or 15...

Jevro
10-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Is it possible?

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2005, 03:12 PM
10 or 15 what? speakers? No I dont think so... A walkman can only handle so much.. And 10 or 15 speakers would kill it.

Jevro
10-03-2005, 03:19 PM
is there any way that i could get sound to come out of 10 of the little speakers simultaneously...?

KatiMike
10-03-2005, 03:21 PM
just had a look at one of those wee speakers I've got lying around - 8 ohm resistance , 0.5 w - s'pose if you put your mind to it you could construct some sort of array that would run off the headphone- out of a walkman etc ... might lack a bit of bass response tho ;)

Jevro
10-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Would i need something to split it into more channels?

Or if i put 5 on one channel (L) and 5 on channel (R)ight how the hell would i do that? :@@:

KatiMike
10-03-2005, 03:57 PM
my Grado phones have an impedance of 32 ohms quoted on the box - not sure if that is each channel or both combined [ each channel makes most sense ] - if it is each side you could join 4 of the speakers together in series for each side and wire up a stereo minjack - design some funky enclosures - and you're away to a unique listening experience :rolleyes:

Graham L
11-03-2005, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't bother with those speakers. They are cheap. They are not efficient, and have no pretensions to being any sort of "fi".

I've got a pair of unamplified speakers which give reasonable sound from a Minidisc player. They were meant to be driven by the early sound cards which had an amplifier.

You can probbaly find a pair of amplified speakers for next to nothing these days ... the "400 W PMPO" ones (with the 12V 400 mA -- just under 5W of DC, so probably about 2 watts audio output ;)).

Billy T
11-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Most, if not all, walkmans can produce reasonable power into an 8 ohm load.

Any 8 ohm speakers regardless of size will run fine, but the bigger (and more efficient) they are, the more volume you will get. Don't waste your time with the crappy speakers you find in PCs, you will be unhappy with the result and regret the wasted time and effort.

Cheap speakers can usually be bought at any second hand shop, Salvation Army or other charity shop, in fact I just bought several sets of mini stereo speakers from a charity shop for the unemployed and solo parents in a rural community. Asking price was 50 cents each pair but they were so good I made a rather larger donation and took the lot.

They were designed for computers originally, but running off a Sanyo Walkman one pair provides enough volume to keep my teenage son happy while he is doing his homework.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)