PDA

View Full Version : firefox died. all settings gone!

beetle
10-03-2005, 12:31 PM
i didnt touch it.
it closed and then when i went to reopen it, it says profile in use, rename, create or delete it.
and wouldnt let me start from quicklaunch....

what has happened?

its been going fine all morning...:(

i have done nothing out of the ordinary, me bookmark had been saved to desk top last change over, so have old ones just nothing new....so lost all me healthy eating ones...:(

where do i check out this profile thingy? Jen told me last time and i cant remember....

got rid of that byteverify thing...dont know how but its gone...
did notice that refreshing things didnt look right earlier, didnt take much notice...???

:badpc: and smileys working???

oooh dear, not a good day ahead i can see....

default settings, lost all my icons, and seetings but tab browsing still there?

help

beetle

Murray P
10-03-2005, 12:58 PM
i didnt touch it.

Liar!

What did you do when it asked for a Profile, did you cancel or make a new one.

IIRC, from the dialogue box you can browse to the C:\Documents and Settings\your User Name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profiles.ini

beetle
10-03-2005, 01:12 PM
LOL

:p

I found it.... i deleted it, set the default to 0 and closed, and logged off and restarted, and now all is back?

i wasnt in the area when it went funny i was in the kitchen making lunch...

so at this stage its fixed....thanxs sweetie.....

and would i lie??????????????? :p

beetle

Graham L
10-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Of course it stopped working. You didn't offer the computer any lunch.

Meanie.

sal
10-03-2005, 01:41 PM
i didnt touch it.
it closed and then when i went to reopen it, it says profile in use, rename, create or delete it.
and wouldnt let me start from quicklaunch....Sounds like it must have hit a bump and locked up in the background. Sometimes when that happens, it asks to run another instance of Firefox through another profile.

beetle
10-03-2005, 10:00 PM
So youre suggesting next time i log off and try again later? sal?

Am i not throwing enuf cauliflower, and brocoli at it you think???? GL???

and well ive never struck this problem before...
we live and we learn i spose.

beetle

zqwerty
10-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Next time that this happens to you, Beetle, you should go cntl/alt/del and see if an instance of FireFox is still running before you do anything drastic. If one is running, as I quite often find after an incident like you just had, then I shut it down using task manager and then everything works fine again without a re boot, just start fireFox again.

beetle
10-03-2005, 10:43 PM
UM

I beleive that this is a good idea, but that requires thinking and that doesnt happen round here much, lately if ever....:p

thanxs for the jog of thought to do occasionally, will try to remember that if i ever get stuck again.

beetle

zqwerty
10-03-2005, 10:49 PM
By the way beetle, the problem on my system is associated with Sun Java and I remember that you have just installed this on your computer.

Prescott
11-03-2005, 01:39 PM
the same thing happend to me! i was gutted, all my bookmarks were gone and i havent managed to get them back :badpc:

beetle
11-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Slight correction here i have not just installed sun java on my machine, havnt installed any type of java on my machine recently. it is already on there, and i beleive Metla put it there????????
not me.

i have been quite good lately not adding lots of things.

and it was AVG picked up byteverify, and i hadnt altered, added anything.....
so am mystified why it went haywire....

LOL

its a beetle thing im sure.

beetle

zqwerty
12-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Ok, I was certain, but of course I could be wrong, that you were advised and did instal the latest Sun Java. I have and I am regretting it.

beetle
12-03-2005, 07:53 PM
I did find AVG was picking it up, but rectified that with help from people.
no probs other wise.

but then every little thing is sent to test me.
panic or grumpyness sets in and off i go on a tangent to get it fixed when i really dont have the time or pateince to do it...
:D

any way of fixing it Zqwerty?

beetle