PDA

View Full Version : Auto Update won't install

Cymbalz
10-03-2005, 09:54 AM
I saw the Auto-update icon in the system tray and activated it. It attempted to install the following update (Installing VIA Technologies Inc. - Networking - VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter (update 1 of 1)... )
Then it displays a message that the update could not be installed and I can't remove the icon from the tray???

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Can u open up the icon?? And disable the drivers from installing??

I would either click on my computer/properties/automatic updates, and turn auto updates off, (the only thing is, you may have to go to the site, to get the updates).

Or go to the windowsupdate site do a scan and then stop those drivers from installing from what appears on the site. Untick them, so they wont appear again with the automatic update icon.

Thats what I did with the MS Antispyware program. Unticked it from the site, to stop the icon appearing, telling me its available.

Metla
10-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Word of warning,Never let MS update install new drivers for your hardware.

It may generally work fine but it's a dangerous road to travel.

Cymbalz
10-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks to both Speedy and Metla. Speedy, you poinred the right way and point taken metla

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2005, 05:07 PM
No worries Cymbalz. HTH :)

pctek
10-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Word of warning,Never let MS update install new drivers for your hardware.

It may generally work fine but it's a dangerous road to travel.

Yes, don't fix it if it isn't "broken:. And if it is well would you have your car fixed by your hairdresser?

czarflys
22-05-2005, 11:18 AM
I found this discussion on PC World while looking for a solution to the same problem. I looked a bit further and found this link:
http://faqshop.com/sus/suserrs/automatic%20update%20err%20codes.htm

If you run Edit/Find and type in 80070103, which is the error code for this problem, you'll find the answer - in part. It seems that the best course of action is to do what others have recommended - move away from automatic updates and instead update on a manual basis where you select what you want to receive rather than have MS push everything to you.

tweak'e
22-05-2005, 11:46 AM
as far as i know the auto MS update only dos critical updates therefore you shouldn't be getting a driver update. unless of course you have customised the auto update.