PDA

View Full Version : Help with ADSL modem

JJJJJ
10-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Would someone who knows their way around modems please help me?
I have a Belkin adsl modem. The built in firewall stops me sending and receiving e-mail.
The default setting is enabled. I can switch it off but everytime the power is turned off the firewall switches back on.
I want to disable it permanantly or alternatively get it to leave my e-mail alone.
I am running Win xp with sp2 and NAV 2005.
The modem setup can be reached on the net at 10.0.0.2 (no www)
The user name is "admin" and the password is "password". These are needed to acess the web page.
Thanks,
Jack

Sleepy
10-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Is that a modem or a router? sounds like a router to me. Is there a feature there security, or firewall? have you tried disabling it? My routers firewall seemed to blocking things etc.. disabled it, and its fine, i just use a software one. And its a good idea to change your router password to.

JJJJJ
10-03-2005, 02:21 PM
It says it is a Belkin High-Speed ADSL Modem with usb and ethernet.As far as I can tell there is no way to permanently disable the fire wall. There may be some way to make it work properly, that's why I would like someone to look at the set up.
Jack

Murray P
10-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Is there a setting to allow pop3, smtp and/or imap on ports 25 and 110?

How is your email programme set up to access the net, via LAN 10.0.0.2? BTW, that's a strange IP to keep on the router.

I'd change your routers login and password too and if it has a tick in the remote access field, disable it.

Sleepy
10-03-2005, 02:26 PM
oh k, just had a look on there website. They haven't got a manual online which is annoying, have you tried the manual on the software cd? does it say anything about the firewall. Other then that is there a support number that you can ring for the modem? like where you brought it, or belkin itself maybe.

Sleepy
10-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Is there a setting to allow pop3, smtp and/or imap on ports 25 and 110?

How is your email programme set up to access the net, via LAN 10.0.0.2? BTW, that's a strange IP to keep on the router.

I'd change your routers login and password too and if it has a tick in the remote access field, disable it.

Is there a router setting that you can block those ports? Yeah i had a router that was 10.0.0.2, the one i got now uses 192.168.1.1 maybe its just a matter of preference for the router manufacturers.

Murray P
10-03-2005, 02:39 PM
I'm assuming it's etherent connected. It depends what your TCP/IP settings are. Normal convention is to use the 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.254.254 range of IP's. So your Gateway might be 192.168.1.1 which is the same IP as your routers with each computer on the LAN being, say, 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.4 and so on, remebering that if you want to share the internet each must have the routers IP address in the Gateway field and subnet mask of 225.225.225.0.0 along with whatever you ISP's DNS server addresses are.

JJJJJ
10-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Firstly 10.0.0.2 is the url for the setup program.
Secondly I am set up via USB.

My IP (?) address is 10.0.0.12

Subnet mask (?) 255.0.0.0

Default gateway is 10.0.0.2

Jack

Trev
10-03-2005, 03:07 PM
To get your IP address go start/all programes/accessories/command prompt and type in ipconfig

Trevor

JJJJJ
10-03-2005, 03:20 PM
To get your IP address go start/all programes/accessories/command prompt and type in ipconfig

Trevor

And that produces the figures I have given you.
Jack

Trev
10-03-2005, 05:09 PM
If you have the option to go ethernet do as it is faster than USB. If your computer dosen't have an onboard ethernet connector, buy a PCI ethernet card, they are only about $10.

Trevor :)

Terry Porritt
10-03-2005, 05:41 PM
If you have the option to go ethernet do as it is faster than USB. If your computer dosen't have an onboard ethernet connector, buy a PCI ethernet card, they are only about $10.

Trevor :)
With due respect, that really is an answer to a question that Jack did not ask, and would not solve the problem anyway!

Jack wants to know if there is some subtle option in the modem setup accessed through the browser that will enable him to turn off the firewall and keep it turned off.

I wish I could help, but I couldn't find any info. Anyone out there with Jacks model of Belkin, that could help?

KatiMike
10-03-2005, 06:00 PM
not quite sure what the model no is ... I found this installation manual for a model F5D5730 - blurry pdf
http://web.belkin.com/support/download/files/F5D5730au_manual.pdf
Some troubleshooting stuff but nil specific re firewall setup - looking at the specs for this model it has NAT but I see no mention of a firewall as such , or perhaps you have a different model Jack?

drcspy
10-03-2005, 06:04 PM
as for the difference between usb and ethernet.......well YOU time it..........there may be a difference but it'd be measured in micro seconds.....and dont bother telling me that usb uses up your cpu cycles.......if you have any kinda reasonable amd or P4 then it just doesn't matter.......

drcspy
10-03-2005, 06:04 PM
and since the actual connection you get from xtra or whomeever doesnt' even come close to the usb/ethernet speed then 'faster' is irrelevant

godfather
10-03-2005, 06:29 PM
looking at the specs for this model it has NAT but I see no mention of a firewall as such

Network Address Translation (NAT) is the "firewall" in most routers.
You would need to disable NAT to work-around, however I would find it strange to have to do so for standard email ports.

While I have no experience with that router, other types seem not to be affected for common email ports.

KatiMike
10-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the info GF - my ignorance of firewall issues is laid bare ! My Dynalink has other stuff such as stateful packet inspection [?] etc which I thought related more to it's firewall attributes , and I realise I should look into what all these things mean some day . Said router has a security tab - it can be set to off , low , medium , high and user configuration [ yikes :eek: ] so I just set it to high and most things work well [ atomic clock and win mx won't work] and that's my experience ... so why won't Jack's work on the default settings ? The plot thickens ...

godfather
10-03-2005, 07:15 PM
Well, if we actually knew the router model number we could get closer to the issue I suspect.

I have read the posts (both threads) but perhaps I have missed it?

theother1
10-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Jack, just caught up with this thread. As a matter of interest why did you connect via USB?? hwen I set mine up I remember seeing somewhere that usb was the worst alternative. Can't remember exactly why. But something to do with reliability. I thought your new box had an ethernet port?
You are using XP? I had no issues with my Belkin router when I installed it but I did have to set it up manually.
Rob

JJJJJ
10-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Jack, just caught up with this thread. As a matter of interest why did you connect via USB?? hwen I set mine up I remember seeing somewhere that usb was the worst alternative. Can't remember exactly why. But something to do with reliability. I thought your new box had an ethernet port?
You are using XP? I had no issues with my Belkin router when I installed it but I did have to set it up manually.
Rob
I connected via USB because it was the easiest. I have no complaint with the speed so I'll keep USB.
To those who keep talking about a router. I have a plain adsl modem. It does not have a model number on the modem , on the box, or on the manual. So perhaps it's the only one they make.
All I want is someone to have a look at the setup program and see if there's any way to disable the firewall permanantly.
Jack

JJJJJ
10-03-2005, 08:55 PM
according to an advert the model number is BEL 8131.
Jack

KatiMike
10-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi Jack - did you check the pdf in my link above - is this your modem ? Frustrating if there is no sticker etc to tell you what the model is .
Did you buy it recently ? from whom ? Does the manual have a problem shooter ? etc :)

JJJJJ
10-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Hi Jack - did you check the pdf in my link above - is this your modem ? Frustrating if there is no sticker etc to tell you what the model is .
Did you buy it recently ? from whom ? Does the manual have a problem shooter ? etc :)
Yes that's the one.
Jack

KatiMike
10-03-2005, 09:07 PM
thank goodness - 8131 turned up not a lot :)
Now hopefully those who know about these things will advise ...

Trev
12-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Perhaps this site may help. It has manuals on Belkin modems but not the 8131.

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Trevor:)

Terry Porritt
12-03-2005, 11:13 AM
There is no mention of the 8131 modem on the Belkin website, however there is a manual in pdf form for a modem which looks and sounds identicle to the 8131 on the 5star.net site: http://www.5star.net.nz/shop/belkin_adsl.html, which can be downloaded from here:

http://web.belkin.com/support/download/downloaddetails.asp?download=1444&lang=1

Now there is no mention of firewall, but there is a "Save Configuration" instruction.

There is no mention of firewall in the specs for the 8131 at 5star.net either.