PDA

View Full Version : Acer laptop with 2 os

Glassman
09-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Evening alll
I was wondering if some could explain this to me.

I have just bought a Acer travelmate 230 second hand of course.

I picked up the laptop but i had to wait a couple of days for the restore disks
While i was waiting i was having a look in the bios and i noticed an entry in the boot section that said "D2D" so i set the bios to boot from this and when it did it restored the computer with Win xp pro on it.

I have now got the restore disks for this laptop and they have win xp home on them.

Yes these are the right disks for this laptop as they have the model number on the disks.

So my question is why would Acer put 2 versions of Win xp on their laptops

Thanks in advance for any help.

Glassman
09-03-2005, 11:02 PM
I forgot to add that i have spoken to the last owner of this laptop and they have told me that when they got it new from the shop it came with Win xp home oh it.

gibler
09-03-2005, 11:09 PM
acer article (http://www.acersupport.com/notebook/articles/multi_extpart_230280.html)

Sounds to me like they probably just put xp pro on the hidden partition but actually sell it with a xp home option.

I've read somewhere else where a person found these restore partitions but that model didn't even support the restore function.

So either at the factory someone made a mistake or they hope no one will notice :rolleyes:

Glassman
09-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Something else i have found out.
When you do a restore from "D2D" it restore's Win xp pro very very quickly.But when you use the restore disks it takes a while and you end up with Win xp home.

Glassman
09-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Just one more thing to add when you restore from the disks you end up with Nortons anti-virus installed.

But when you restore from "D2D" Nortons av is not installed.

I have looked at the ACER website and there is no mention of any of the info i have come across.

Perhaps its just my lucky day.