PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Modem/Router security?

Alien
09-03-2005, 09:07 PM
I am looking at taking up Xtras free Jetstream offer that comes with a Dlink 302G ADSL Modem.

Dlink calls this a modem/router, although many sites refer to it as a modem only. Does this device have the firewall security of a full "Secure" modem/router? or should I be buying something better to protect my PC from unwanted intrusion/Hackers?

The features on the Dlink site say claim "Secure NAT/DHCP functions"

It also supports Static IP, Dynamic IP, PPPoE/PPPoA and Bridge connections.

What do I need for best security?

What features or specifications should I be asking for?

Your help would be appreciated.

Alien.

gibler
09-03-2005, 11:00 PM
I believe that it basically is a router with a one port switch.

It looks as though it does effectively provide a firewall from the internet (You have to open ports to allow you to make your connection a server for example). You can do the basic stuff which is all most people need.

They seem to provide firmware upgrades whihc is good when some security hole with the router gets uncovered such as external access to configure the router or allowing external people to discover your ISP password.

If you need to share the internet connection you'd just plug a switch into the router.

It is good enough for my workmate.

Murray P
09-03-2005, 11:06 PM
It's not the flashest router out, but it'll do the job adequately. The NAT will isolate you from the internet by hiding your computers IP address which is sufficient for most, it's not a full on hardware firewall though, although some people here rely soley on the NAT and antivirus and say they have never been hacked.

Make sure you have a software firewall loaded on your PC and good antivirus software.

PaulD
10-03-2005, 08:28 AM
It's not the flashest router out, but it'll do the job adequately.

If you do want another router for any reason, the Xtra deal doesn't force you to take D-Link. Xtra advertise it as get free D-Link but it's really buy router,get $99 credit on your account so you can buy something else.

Chilling_Silence
10-03-2005, 08:31 AM
I think Gibler summed it up very well here :)

Paul, are you saying I could tell them I already have a router and get credit on the account?

You can buy a nice budget 4-port Puretek router from QMB.co.nz for around $70 last time I looked

Dragonslayer
10-03-2005, 09:31 AM
I am looking at taking up Xtras free Jetstream offer that comes with a Dlink 302G ADSL Modem.

Dlink calls this a modem/router, although many sites refer to it as a modem only. Does this device have the firewall security of a full "Secure" modem/router? or should I be buying something better to protect my PC from unwanted intrusion/Hackers?

The features on the Dlink site say claim "Secure NAT/DHCP functions"

It also supports Static IP, Dynamic IP, PPPoE/PPPoA and Bridge connections.

What do I need for best security?

What features or specifications should I be asking for?

Your help would be appreciated.

Alien.

I have heard that the particular deal with the DLink is "locked in" to XTRA. I mean, the standard login of .xadsl@xtra.co.nz is permenant, you CAN NOT use this router with ANY other ISP, and also if you flash the firmware, then you void the warranty.
Also you are locked in for 12 months on contract, so if a better deal comes along in 6 months time, then tough.

This is what I have heard, so please keep this in mind.

PaulD
10-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Paul, are you saying I could tell them I already have a router and get credit on the account?

You can buy a nice budget 4-port Puretek router from QMB.co.nz for around $70 last time I looked
I was told the credit applied to new connections to ADSL with Xtra as ISP. If I wanted another brand of router, that was my choice.