PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to buy speakers too ?

Misty
09-03-2005, 08:24 PM
I recently bought a new PC based on the great advice of PressF1 members. It is marvellous !

At the last minute I changed the CRT screen and bought instead an LCD screen
(ie - CMV LCD CT-720Ds 17" SXGA DVI)

The speakers are incorporated in the screen and quite often I get a reasonable level of sound. I have adjusted the sound level to the highest but at times it is a bit low for some music.

My query is - with these screens is it quite normal to also want speakers to give more sound - or is it unnecessary and I just need to tweak a bit more ? I have checked the settings in the "Sound and Audio Properties" Win XP and it is at the highest level.
Misty

KatiMike
09-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Hi Misty , especially to get decent levels with music you'll need to get alternative speakers to those on the monitor . I have some Altec Lansing music ones [2.1] that I got thru Ascent and they're fine - saw a few different ones at Harvey Norman recently too all set up for you to preview . Creative and Genius speakers can sound ok too , depends a bit on the budget . If you can listen b4 you buy !!!

Metla
09-03-2005, 09:04 PM
The speakers built into LCD's are good for beeps....and thats about it,outside of an office enviorment they are rubbish.

As for speakers, The Ozaki units have a quality sound and are a good price, Personally I find creative and Genius speakers to be poor, but beauty is in the ear of the beholder.....

The CM699 1600W 2.1-Channel Subwoofer Speakers(Black) and the VA303 1800W Designer 2.1-Channel Subwoofer Speakers for Personal Home Theatre --- Silver/Black Colour are very nice.

Cicero
09-03-2005, 09:35 PM
I have creative jobbies,but not a sound buff,none the less with sub woofer not bad,$100.

Metla
09-03-2005, 09:41 PM
$100???

The Ozaki's listed above I sell for $55,and I would imagine go for a fair whack less in Jafasville,and they are beautily clear when compared to the Creative 2.1's i have

Cicero
09-03-2005, 09:53 PM
$100???

The Ozaki's listed above I sell for $55,and I would imagine go for a fair whack less in Jafasville,and they are beautifully clear when compared to the Creative 2.1's i have
That was 2 years ago,yours sound better in more ways than one.
Mine are the 2.1.

Misty
19-03-2005, 12:26 PM
$100???

The Ozaki's listed above I sell for $55,and I would imagine go for a fair whack less in Jafasville,and they are beautily clear when compared to the Creative 2.1's i have
Was going to buy the Ozakis but then Mrs Misty said that I had spent enough for now and I could use the speakers from the old computer. They seem not too bad ! I will however keep the Ozakis in mind (for my birthday or something !).
Misty :thumbs:

Myth
19-03-2005, 01:05 PM
I use Kinyo speakers (subwoofered), they seem to work quite well too (trust me, I don't treat mine with cotton gloves:))

pctek
19-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Alternatively you could hook up the PC to your stereo, really great speakers! And wouldn't cost you anything.......(Assuming your stereo is near the PC of course).

Myth
19-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Alternatively you could hook up the PC to your stereo, really great speakers! And wouldn't cost you anything.......(Assuming your stereo is near the PC of course).
If I was going to do that, would I need to have a sound card (pci, not the integrated one)?

Metla
19-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Intergrated will work fine, All you need is a 1-into-2 adaptor (about $1.50) and the required cables.

Jen
19-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Don't mean to state the obvious, but have you checked the volume control on the monitor itself? I've been caught out this way before on the work LCD's, because I didn't realise hidden under the bottom edge of the monitor was a volume control dial :p

Just a suggestion. :)

Misty
19-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Don't mean to state the obvious, but have you checked the volume control on the monitor itself? I've been caught out this way before on the work LCD's, because I didn't realise hidden under the bottom edge of the monitor was a volume control dial :p

Thanks, Jen. I have just checked and there is none under the bottom edge.
There is a "menu" button in plaine view at the lower end of the screen surround which gives options such as "brightness" and "sound" and this is set to the highest setting. However now that I am using the old speakers it is plenty loud enough ! Not sure what the quality is like but then probably that means that my discrimination level is not that sophisticated !

Anyway it was certainly worth trying - thanks for mentioning.

Misty
19-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Alternatively you could hook up the PC to your stereo........................................(Ass uming your stereo is near the PC of course).

Thanks for the suggestion - but the main stereo is upstairs and the PC downstairs !! However at this stage am now, at the least, reasonably happy. See my post immediately above this one.

Hopefully others will get some ideas though so am not worried if the thread gets highjacked.

KatiMike
19-03-2005, 11:52 PM
Misty , you may not realise it yet but you need heaps more power

http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=151683

bit of a luxury perhaps , 110w RMS for $187 - I'm saving !!! :rolleyes:

Misty
26-12-2005, 11:16 AM
As for speakers, The Ozaki units have a quality sound and are a good price,

The CM699 1600W 2.1-Channel Subwoofer Speakers(Black)

Finally, for Christmas I was given these speakers. They are great. I did not realise that they come with a sub-woofer too ! Now that my offspring have told me what the sub-woofer does, and the sound waves that they use, the theory is reasonably understandable to me.

We did a test against the old speakers and what a difference.

The cream on the cake is that I can also plug my iPod directly into the speaker system and play it, which means that we can play my iPod out on the deck whenever we have a small gathering for a bbq etc.

Thanks for the great suggestion Metla (and happy new year to you !) :thumbs: Misty