PDA

View Full Version : Certain games causes computer to die.

Jams
09-03-2005, 06:54 PM
hey guys

just as of latley, when trying to play Half Life 2 or Counter Strike Source my PC dies. Getting about 5 seconds into the game, not even have to be moving or playing, my Monitor shuts off, and the sounds loop. Come to think of it, it crashes and loops as soon as the game sound comes on.

Then today i brought home UT2004 (all 10cd's). and i get 10 seconds into the game intro, and it does the same bloody thing, crashes and loops sound with the monitor off, and i have to reboot to get the PC back.

i have looked around on the net for forums with the same problem as me, there are a few, but none of them actually resolve anything.

heres my Specs.

Windows XP Pro
120GIG Seagate HDD
Gigabyte K8NS Mobo with nForce 3.
512MB DDR400
nVidia Legend 6600GT Vid Card
AMD 3000+ 64Bit CPU
350W PSU (was sold with everything else, was told it was sufficient but had my doubts becuase apparently it operates at 20amps along the rail isntead of 18)

this only happens with these 2 games. Doom 3 works fine, well the demo of it does, CS 1.5 works fine, RA2 works fine.

Anyone know wnaything about this ? The system is only 2 weeks old, not that age has anything to do with how hardware operates.

i have updated with the latest nVidia drivers and nForce drivers.

Cheers
James

tech_meister
09-03-2005, 07:43 PM
This is a known issue with Nvidia and your Athlon 64 platform and UT2004.
I think it is a driver issue, which is why the other games work ok.
There are 2 possible fixes, 1 is go into my computer, properties, advanced, startup and recovery settings, Then on system startup click on the edit button, on the last line at the end change Otpin to AllwayOff, then ok every think saving your change and reboot.
If that doesn't help try a Beta driver form Guru3d.com which ever works for you.
There is a 3rd option, change the video card to an ATI based card.
I'm sure however that Nvidia will sort out the driver issue eventually.

tech_meister
09-03-2005, 07:47 PM
One other thing .
I suppose the onboard sound could be the problem in your case as that m/b has
I think 8 channel sound. Try disabling the sound in the bios and see if that helps.
good luck.

pctek
09-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Nonsense. My son was able to play these with a lower specced PC and onboard sound. His board is an A7V600.
More likely a software issue. Downlaod the patches for the games, clear out any spyware you may have etc.

Metla
09-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Did you update your Video card drivers?

These cards are known to overheat with newer drivers, has been talk of the town over at Madonion.

tech_meister
09-03-2005, 10:00 PM
Hey:
I just built a pc with exactly the same specs as Jams, with all the latest drivers.
and UT2004 demo crashed every time! and yet on my aging 1.3g P3 no problem.
Check out the support forums it's almost always a Athlon 64 and Nvidia video.
Bet if he intalled a ATI card he will have no problem with UT2004, anyway.

Jams
09-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Nonsense. My son was able to play these with a lower specced PC and onboard sound. His board is an A7V600.
More likely a software issue. Downlaod the patches for the games, clear out any spyware you may have etc.

dont have any spyware, well, nothing that Spyware Doctor tells me, and no virus's.

i have the very latest drivers.

Jams
09-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Did you update your Video card drivers?

These cards are known to overheat with newer drivers, has been talk of the town over at Madonion.

yea, i thought about that. the card doesnt have time to overheat..it gets no more than 5 seconds into the game before it kills itself.

Metla
09-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Temperture rise can be near instant, all those polies and shading is a huge amount of work for your card to render, Have you done a touch test on the card just after a crash?

Metla
09-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Hey:
I just built a pc with exactly the same specs as Jams, with all the latest drivers.
and UT2004 demo crashed every time! and yet on my aging 1.3g P3 no problem.
Check out the support forums it's almost always a Athlon 64 and Nvidia video.
Bet if he intalled a ATI card he will have no problem with UT2004, anyway.

By your logic ATI has a massive fault with UT2004,and here is the proof.

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=ati+crash+ut2004&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Metla
09-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Jams, Something I forgot to mention.

Drop the res down to 800x600 and see if the game crashes.

Then report back the results.

Jams
09-03-2005, 10:58 PM
yea will do Metla. Thanks for your help.

by the way. Im loving your trade website Idea, im signing up to that as soon as its operational.

Jams
10-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Hey again.

started up half life 2 this morning. waited for it to crash, and it did, then did the touch test. The card feels warm, but nothing serious enough for it to die of heat.

disabled the onboard audio, still crashed....

thanks for all your help.

James.

Metla
10-03-2005, 10:04 AM
Mine would melt the skin off ya finger...

And the underlying bone.

Jams
10-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Whoa.

just went back to the tech shop. Just gave me a brand new card, and that seems to of done the trick. UT2004 gets past the spash screen within one minute, instead of 10 minutes now. And HalfLife 2 loads much quicker between area's.

Cheers guys for all your help.

Metla. Whens your TradeF1 site going to be operational ?

Metla
10-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Hopefully in a few days, ......