PDA

View Full Version : windows xp pro backup question

Sleepy
09-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Hi my computer is running Windows XP Professional SP2. I'm considering formatting my computer and backing up all my work off it.
What i'd like to know is what to backup, and what programmes to use.

I've got a list of items i'd like to backup:
* all work in my documents
* favourite websites
* email settings (both express and outlook)
* email boxes (both express and outlook)
* internet connection settings (56k)
* drivers
* office templates/ad ons etc..

Have i missed anything else necessary, programmes in prorgram files i'd like to be backed up without having to reinstall them.

I have access to another computer on a network, so storage isn't a problem.

I want all ares backed up seperate so a Windows XP Backup, or Automated System Recovery isn't an option.

Having read other formatting posts, i'll be doing a total wipe, getting rid of everything off the computer.

Is there any programmes that can backup the internet connection settings and outlook settings/boxes?

A programme that can list the drivers used by my computer?

Am unsure about all the office ad ons, templates etc... can these be backuped as well?

Any comments, suggestions, or programmes to backup would be appreciated.

Thanks.

:thumbs:

theother1
09-03-2005, 05:53 PM
<Have i missed anything else necessary, programmes in prorgram files i'd like to be backed up without having to reinstall them.>

You can't do this, you will need all the disks and then have to got through the installation and set up for each one in turn. Read my reply to the other thread regarding reformatting. Why do it?????????????

Sleepy
09-03-2005, 06:19 PM
well i've installed heaps of programmes i don't really need, games, work stuff, that i never use anymore. I just want everything fresh, and yes is as a last resort to viruses/spyware/adware all that rubbish infecting a computer.

I did read somewhere for good maintenance for your computer to format every 6-12 months, try and find the URL, what do people think about this?

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2005, 06:32 PM
You'll have to reinstall whatever programs u want (whatever programs u had previously), from their cd/s or redownload them from the net, and reinstall them again. (if u havent got the original exe files somewhere on your hdd).

After XP has been reinstalled.

You can't backup programs like MSOffice, games like Doom etc,

Windows doesnt work that way. XP needs info etc in the registry etc for programs etc to work properly. And backing up programs to somewhere else and then putting them back in the same place, after u format XP, wont work.

The only things u can back up are things like word documents, email addresses, favourites from your browser......Anything BUT programs, you install.

To save outlook express settings (if u use this). Just go to Tools/accounts/click on your email name, then export give it a name then save.

For email addresses, You open address book/file/export. Save it as a wab file.

For favourites. Go to File import/export (in the browser). Export to save. Give it a name and save.

Not too sure about connection settings. That only takes a few secs to reconfigure (well for dialup).

BUT yep it is a good to format once in a while (altho I havent done this since June/July last year). Everything seems to work fine (SO far).

Sleepy
10-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Yep, thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Rob99
10-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Do you have many message rules in OE that need to be backed up as well?

Sleepy
10-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Do you have many message rules in OE that need to be backed up as well?

What do you mean message rules in OE? unsure about what you mean, prehaps i don't lol

KatiMike
10-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Rob99 means e-mails , do you want to back up your e-mails from outlook/ outlook express / thunderbird etc ?

Sleepy
10-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Rob99 means e-mails , do you want to back up your e-mails from outlook/ outlook express / thunderbird etc ?

Yep your right, i want to back up the emails to, nope speedy didnt' put that in his instructions, i guess its just straight forward to save all the emails as well then.

Rob99
10-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Backing up the emails is easy as coping the .dbx folders.

Message rules are what you set up to direct your incomming mail to differrent folders.

Sleepy
10-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Backing up the emails is easy as coping the .dbx folders.

Message rules are what you set up to direct your incomming mail to differrent folders.

oh i see i haven't set those up, later on prehaps, how do you back those up to?

KatiMike
10-03-2005, 03:27 PM
FAQ 40 has a lot of useful info on what/ how to back up

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/faq.php?faq=pressf1_faq_windows#faq_pressf1_faq_40