PDA

View Full Version : Computers for kindy kids

rmcb
09-03-2005, 02:22 PM
I have been voluntered to set up 3 new computers for our local kindy.
I am in the process of getting quotes at the moment so we can apply for grants.
I was thinking of saving money by installing Linux instead of paying the M$ tax, however the machines will mostly be used for educational games e.g. Reader Rabbit etc.
Has anyone had any experience with getting these sorts of games running using wine or perhaps cedega?.
Thanks

Metla
09-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Its not a relaible technology, I would suggest you stick to XP,.....XP is dirt cheap anyhow.

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Yer and where would that be from Metla?? Bangkok or something? :lol:

It definitely isnt cheap in NZ.

Metla
09-03-2005, 02:42 PM
As part of a system quote it is only$120, And for what it does it is dirt cheap.

Obelix
09-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Don't forget when you are getting quotes for all these computers to specify that you are after educational pricing, as it is significantly cheaper than full retail.

beetle
09-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Hi.

Um, our kindy has Macs running the current kindy kids games. these i find are really odd, nothing wrong with them just not used to this style of setup. but it runs the games just fine. may limit the type of game tho?

Other kindys i have been to all run XP just fine and makes life a little bit easier for the sometimes non computer literate person to start them and run just fine, no majors.

Linux, ??? well i know nothing about that one, and not planning on it in a hurry.
but knowing children, they fiddle and you need something easy for the joe average to be able to fix, if something goes wrong, will this be ok for this?

some thing easy to use and reliable....if there is such a thing?

is anything ever operator friendly?????

Terry Porritt
09-03-2005, 03:24 PM
PCs in a kindergarten? Now I know the world has gone mad :confused:

This is what they will look like after 10 years of PCs, television, playstations :dogeye:

Metla
09-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Better then putting kindergarten children to work in the salt mines.

Like how it was done when the world was sane........

Cicero
09-03-2005, 03:47 PM

I think that was Russia,we in England were much kinder and sent them up chimneys.

Terry Porritt
09-03-2005, 03:48 PM

Oh, I don't know, it helped to keep down the price of salt. Or as in Britain, 10 year olds were put to work down t'mines or oop at t'mill, thus maximising the owners profits, and helping to bring a stale crust into the household every now and then. The children didn't die young in those days through being inactive and overweight :stare:

Nowadays it is obese children maximising MacDonalds profits.

Jeremy
09-03-2005, 03:56 PM
PCs in a kindergarten? Now I know the world has gone mad :confused:

This is what they will look like after 10 years of PCs, television, playstations :dogeye:
I totally agree with you on that Terry. I think it's a little bit too early to be getting them started on things like that.

Metla
09-03-2005, 04:19 PM
They are just another educational tool, And reader Rabbit has to be good no matter what platform its served up on, I would even suggest the interactive computer version would be better then a normal book.

Well, Thats probally got me condemned by the "books are holy" brigade.

oh, Beetle, What kindy has the Mac's?

I'll have to make sure my son doesn't end up there, I don't want any educational brainwashing to counteract the homespun brainwashin....

Muhahahahaha.

Terry Porritt
09-03-2005, 04:37 PM
I have been voluntered to set up 3 new computers for our local kindy.
I am in the process of getting quotes at the moment so we can apply for grants.
I was thinking of saving money by installing Linux instead of paying the M$ tax, however the machines will mostly be used for educational games e.g. Reader Rabbit etc.
Has anyone had any experience with getting these sorts of games running using wine or perhaps cedega?.
Thanks

Enough OT chat, I was out of line!

This Amazon page for Reader Rabbit Toddler is interesting:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000068NNK/102-6107797-7252945

It lists linux in the platforms, but only Windows 95 through to XP, and Macs in the requirements.

Windows 95 or 98 bought second hand could well be a cheap solution, round about $40 per computer or less.
XP would be gross overkill.

Jeremy
09-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Dont' forget Maths Blaster, I have spent many hours playing this game. It's quite sad when you around to your cousins to babysit and once they've gone to sleep you sit there playing Maths Blaster on the PC.

As long as the computer is just a small part of what happens at the kindy it's all good really.

beetle
09-03-2005, 04:59 PM
well Metla.....i really have no idea what they are, apart from apples icon it has.

they odd things so im presuiming they macs....start button is on the key board?
and doesnt do a windows plain on start up.....

the kindy over your way does.....:p

haha where i am currently based......

comes down to the fact i also have never seen one in the flesh.............a mac that is,

Morgenmuffel
09-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Grab win 95 CDs off trademe they normally go for less than $5, yes it's old and dungaree but it's cheap, supported and a known quantity

on the other hand of course, linux can be locked down so little people don't get to where they shouldn't

Sleepy
09-03-2005, 06:27 PM
what games are going on there for the kindy? heard reader rabbit and maths blaster mentioned in the thread.

Scouse
09-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Hi Beetle. Check here.... (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/chalkboard.jpg) :cool:

rmcb
09-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the replys people (and a few laughs).
Yeah I will look at the secondhand 95 & 98 route, thanks.
Not to sure of the exact games yet, will have to dig through the ones they have already.
Yes, they have some old Macs kicking around there, but they are getting very tempermental.
PCs in a kindergarten? Now I know the world has gone mad
This is what they will look like after 10 years of PCs, television, playstations
Sadly, Terry it is true, I live 3 houses away from a primary school, you wouldnt believe the amount of kids that get driven to school from 2 or 3 streets away. Usually by a frantic mum in a huge 4x4 thinking it is safe, thinking she is keeping her children safe from stranger danger etc. They are totally oblivious to the lack of exercise, risk of a car crash or all the polution they cause damaging their kids.
Anyway that is my rant for the day over.

dolby digital
09-03-2005, 09:46 PM
As part of a system quote it is only$120, And for what it does it is dirt cheap.

So how do they justify $599 for a full retail version (or whatever it is).

Metla
09-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Fat cats in suits have to have Gold coated cornflakes for breakfast.

Shop smart, no need to feed the rich.

johnd
09-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Its not a relaible technology, I would suggest you stick to XP,.....

Hey -- Linux is a lot more reliable than any MS Windows product.

But that's not the point. The correct procedure in any task like this is:

1. Determine the software needed to do the task.
2. Which OS does the majority of this run on?
3. What hardware does the OS need?

Choose the correct tools for the job first!

Metla
09-03-2005, 10:38 PM
heh?

The post was in reference to game emulation software, and it is crap.

as for Linux itself, its pretty crappy,ugly, disjointed,slow, limited, etc etc.

Morgenmuffel
09-03-2005, 11:29 PM
T
Yes, they have some old Macs kicking around there, but they are getting very tempermental.

I wouldn't discount the old macs, I recently got an old one for $5 that was being temperamental to say the least, downloaded the o/s for it (7.5 which is now free), replaced the 'bios battery' (whatever the mac equivalent is)with some AA wired together and it runs sweet as a nut,
it quite happily runs kid pix deluxe, which is an excellent program for kids i can even surf the net using icab browser albeit a little slower than normal