PDA

View Full Version : Modem? Or Telecom?

Rpg_pro
09-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Over the last few weeks its been getting worse and worse, Im on the 2mbit 10gig cap plan. And every so often i get disconected. MORE often than before now. BUT during the time i was capped at 64k It was perfect :confused:

Modem Playing up? cant handle the higher speeds?
Jetstreams side?

It gets really frustrating at times, In the middle of a game of cs and i lag out, or miss an auction on trademe when trying to bid at the lasy min :dogeye:

Has happened to any of you guys? Mabe i should ring telecom to check it for me for errors before i go out and by a new modem .

csinclair83
09-03-2005, 02:08 PM
I'd say its telecom coz its happening to me I'm on the 256 plan and at times through the day everything disconnects and i gotta wait 5 mins or so then sign in etc etc and yeah....and its been happening reguarly....and i cant even get through to jetstream helpdesk arrgh

I'm wondering if this is a after effect of the WIX removal in wellington or whatever that is...

ninja
09-03-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm wondering if this is a after effect of the WIX removal in wellington or whatever that is...Telstra Clear depeering at WIX will have absolutely nothing to do with DSL connections bein dropped, being they are a different company on a different network, with no involvement with DSL hardware whatsoever.

DSL is a best effort service, it will go up and down, there will be outages.

On average I get maybe a dozen or more outage notifications from Telecom a week, sometimes 50 or 60, sometimes 5 or 6.

csinclair83
09-03-2005, 02:26 PM
ohhh wix is completely seperate, i assumed it was a major exchange used by telstra and telecom....my apologises for this assumption...

hmm in that case...ring ur provider and find out whats up...and if they say its nothing their end then maybe its the modem...or even just a wiring issue...

Shortcircuit
09-03-2005, 04:04 PM
Would you really believe a provider that says "Nothing wrong at their end"? Sounds like a good way of getting rid of someone they don't want to deal with.

I don't think it would be your modem/router and as you're playing games etc I assume that the router is sending requests fairly regularly to keep the connection live. If the connection is idle for a long period of time could possibly be because you've got a setting activated that forces disconnect when idle for longer than x amount of time.

I'm on the 2mb/10gig jetstream plan in Auck and was having constant problem that the connection would 'go dead' if the page wasn't refreshed after maybe 15 minutes... requiring restart etc.

Seems to have solved it using FFox 'keep alive' option so maybe you could try that if you use FFox.

Rpg_pro
09-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Would you really believe a provider that says "Nothing wrong at their end"? Sounds like a good way of getting rid of someone they don't want to deal with.

I don't think it would be your modem/router and as you're playing games etc I assume that the router is sending requests fairly regularly to keep the connection live. If the connection is idle for a long period of time could possibly be because you've got a setting activated that forces disconnect when idle for longer than x amount of time.

I'm on the 2mb/10gig jetstream plan in Auck and was having constant problem that the connection would 'go dead' if the page wasn't refreshed after maybe 15 minutes... requiring restart etc.

Seems to have solved it using FFox 'keep alive' option so maybe you could try that if you use FFox.

I would be in the middle of a game then it would drop the connection. :(

Rpg_pro
09-03-2005, 08:02 PM
GRR like just now i was updating FFXI, which is about 1 hour 30mins long..... Connection drops... Download stops.. have to restart over :angry :badpc: :badpc: :badpc:

Big John
09-03-2005, 09:34 PM
I'd say its telecom coz its happening to me I'm on the 256 plan and at times through the day everything disconnects and i gotta wait 5 mins or so then sign in etc etc and yeah....and its been happening reguarly....and i cant even get through to jetstream helpdesk arrgh

I'm wondering if this is a after effect of the WIX removal in wellington or whatever that is...

Never happened to me yet. I am on 2Gb plan and have been throttled back once. Never ever have I been dropped off line by the modem or such. There has been times when I have been unable to contact the paradise DNS so can't get through but pings to IP work.

Whoops did lie a bit there. We had a huge power cut last month and got dropped off line then.