PDA

View Full Version : Registry hack to expand MS Word recent documents list?

Billy T
09-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Hi team

Some time ago I saw details of a registry change to expand the number of files shown on MS Word>Files recent documents list from 9 to something a little more useful (I would like 15).

Does anybody have details of that hack? I know I can search the registry or even Google for it, but I haven't time right now so I am hoping somebody has it at their fingertips so to speak.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Cant u just open Word / go to tools / options / general tab.

And go to Recently used file list, and change the number to 15??

Or whatever number u want??

Billy T
09-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Cant u just open Word / go to tools / options / general tab. And go to Recently used file list, and change the number to 15?? Or whatever number u want??

Jeez! I should know better than this! :blush:

I am using Word 2000 which limits that option to a max of 9.

That is why I need the hack.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

johnboy
09-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Sorry can't help with the hack either . But if you want to have another alternative look at the work menu.
http://www.word.mvps.org/faqs/general/WorkMenu.htm
hth

Woof
09-03-2005, 02:33 PM
I need it too - for Excel especially.

Billy
Now I understand your 'signature' ;)

beetle
09-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Well regaurdless of if he gets the hack he by asking this question helped me up the list from four to 9......15 would be good, but up till now didnt know i could alter it, and its a right pain....

if ya find it id be interested to.

long as i cant do major damage with it i be fine......:p

beetle

godfather
09-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Looks complicated - but..
http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/2555

Billy T
09-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Well, Work Menu doesn't seem to be relevant to my requirements, and it doesn't seem to exist in Word 2000 anyway.

I decided to Google, but that took me nowhere fast, so maybe a search of [shock horror :eek:] Press F1 archives might work. I seem to have some problems with that though, because it never brings up anything more than a few months old, and doesn't even find my own old posts that I know are out there whan I want to provide a quick answer to a common question.:(

If nothing else works I'll find the hack myself but I find it very slow working through the registry like that.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

P.S. Glad to have been of service beetle. :)

xxll
09-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Hi Billy.

I suppose you have already found the hack by now.

If not, is this what you need?

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/828/

FoxyMX
09-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Nice try xxll but not quite what Billy is after, unfortunately. :(

That one is for on the Start Menu's Recent Documents list; Billy is after the same thing but for in Word's recent documents that displays when you click on File within Word.

I have been searching fruitlessly for the hack that I am sure I have seen before but haven't come up with the goods yet. Thought it may have been in TweakUI but, no. :(

xxll
09-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Nice try xxll but not quite what Billy is after, unfortunately. :(

That one is for on the Start Menu's Recent Documents list; Billy is after the same thing but for in Word's recent documents that displays when you click on File within Word.

I have been searching fruitlessly for the hack that I am sure I have seen before but haven't come up with the goods yet. Thought it may have been in TweakUI but, no. :(

FoxyMX:
Thanks for that. I did wonder after I had posted but let it go, shouldn't have eh! :)
(ps. I e-mailed you on 13 Jan. I think it must have gone astray.)

Murray P
09-03-2005, 06:39 PM
What's wrong with Goddie's O'Reilly link eh?

Myth
09-03-2005, 06:41 PM
This looks like what you're after :)

Change Number of Recent Docs (http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/828/)

godfather
09-03-2005, 06:44 PM
This looks like what you're after :)

Change Number of Recent Docs (http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/828/)

No, the Windows Start Menu is entirely different to the MRU file list in Word.

godfather
09-03-2005, 06:46 PM
What's wrong with Goddie's O'Reilly link eh?

I am just running in invisibility mode I think?

As far as I can see, that is all there is out there though.

Should be simpler.....

Murray P
09-03-2005, 06:54 PM
BTW, Ta Goddy. I've Just bookmarked the whole lot of O'Reilly Word Hacks, which makes me wonder because I'm now full on into a minor learning curve with OOo with the plan being to drop Word. Hopefully, I prove to be less adept at breaking OOo.

On the MRU, thingy, it does seem to be a bit of a trial to have to write code rather than edit a registry key. Is this one of the evils of intergration, or am I banging on the wrong drum.

godfather
09-03-2005, 07:03 PM
My suspicion is that it is not a registry issue, more of a hard code issue in Word.

Hence the need for code?

OO is not an option for me, the 98% or so compatability with Word is not enough. When the entire Government and Regulatory organisations change to OO, then so can I.

I would prefer WordPerfect though, as a choice.

Murray P
09-03-2005, 07:19 PM
My suspicion is that it is not a registry issue, more of a hard code issue in Word.

Hence the need for code?

OO is not an option for me, the 98% or so compatability with Word is not enough. When the entire Government and Regulatory organisations change to OO, then so can I.

I would prefer WordPerfect though, as a choice.

Hmm! Well one Govt/regulatory body is going to have to chew on an OOo file very shortly, they know its coming because I told them it was. However, I rarely collaborate with them, just give (& receive) and, most are converted to PDF and they that get and a protected doc for their records.

I've had no problem with OOo mimicing or opening and editing Word docs before. How's Word Perfect in that respect and why would you use it in preference? Sorry to go OT in your thread BT, I ask ever so humbly for your forgiveness :)

Jeremy
09-03-2005, 07:30 PM
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\C ommon\Open Find\Microsoft Office Word\Settings\Open\File Name MRU

Have a play around in that area if you've got something similar to that. I have a "Maximum Entries" value in there. Which seems to be set to 10 by default.

Billy T
09-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Sorry folks, had to do some work for a change. :groan:

Thanks Godfather, but the O'Reilly link is way too complicated for me to work through at present, and I am dead sure it was a straightforward number change similar to that which Jeremy is alluding to.

Pity I never think to record the simple but useful tips, they always seem so easy that you think you will just remember them. :mad:

Keep looking folks, thanks for the help, and it is out there somewhere. I'll search the LangaList archive next.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather
09-03-2005, 09:44 PM
How's Word Perfect in that respect and why would you use it in preference? :)

WP has always seemed to be more intuative, menu items always seemed to be exactly where you expected them to be. Everything just seemed to work as you assumed it would, not in any perverse manner. The Reveal Codes facility has always out-performed Word for sorting out formatting issues.

Just that if one used it now, one would be in isolation. A bit like Beta vs VHS, the better system does not always win.