PDA

View Full Version : xp repair install prob

drcspy
09-03-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm tryin to run a repair install on a xp pro system however it keeps gettin stuck at the '34 mins to go' stage........I imaged the drive onto another one and managed the repair install on a different pc perfectly well but of course, (xp and it's damn driver/hardware snapshot crap) that installed os wont run on the original pc. Has anyone else encountred this and what was the cause /resolution ?.......

drcspy
09-03-2005, 11:07 AM
bump

Alan Cotrell
09-03-2005, 11:34 AM
"I'm tryin to run a repair install on a xp pro system however it keeps gettin stuck at the '34 mins to go' stage"

That is a fairly common problem, Plenty of fixes to try if you search Google.

The only one I have found that always works is to delete the Windows folder (make sure to back up all document & settings first as sometimes things get lost) then reinstall windows XP.

This procedure is easy if you have something like Winternals Admin pack repair CD.

All the data should still be intact on the drive, although the OS will not know it's there, so you will need to reinstall most programmes and import the mail back in etc.

A lot of messing around but unfortunately the only way I know that works everytime, otherwise you can waste much more time trying things only to have to repeat the procedure again.

Regards

AC

Murray P
09-03-2005, 11:44 AM
It sounds like you are using a Restore, rather than doing a Repair which, as the name suggests, repairs Windows files/components. A repair can be done automatically or on a file by file basis (very dedious but the only way to go if you know what and intend only to replace specific OS files).

drcspy
09-03-2005, 11:45 AM
so you mean essentially a 'clean' install........well that didn't work......however I've pulled all the cards out and replaced the agp video card with an old pci one and .........at last.........i'ts goin thru the repair this time.........so......we'll see what transpires when I start adding cards bak in......

drcspy
09-03-2005, 11:56 AM
oh nope i'm very well aware of the difference between a restore and a repair.........a repair involves booting with the cd and then choosing 'install xp' then choosing 'repair' .....etc etc.....

Murray P
09-03-2005, 11:57 AM
so you mean essentially a 'clean' install........well that didn't work......however I've pulled all the cards out and replaced the agp video card with an old pci one and .........at last.........i'ts goin thru the repair this time.........so......we'll see what transpires when I start adding cards bak in......

No, it's not a clean install, all the OS settings and updates will remain, except perhaps for the specific file replaced if the replacement is an older version although, the windows i386 folder contains update information.

A repair doesn't always do the job though, particularly if 2rd party software is causing the issue. I believe there is a way to installl and register fresh/updated 3rd party software like drivers via the Repair method or the console (all booted off the Windows CD), but have never done it.

Alan Cotrell
09-03-2005, 12:41 PM
"so you mean essentially a 'clean' install........well that didn't work."

No I mean that you have to delete the windows folder manually.

You cannot use any of the options given using the XP CD.

A clean install normally means formatting and entirely reloading the OS and all software, the method I suggest leaves all data intact and programmes (althugh most programmes will need reinstalling because you will have a new registry which will know nothing about previous installs)

In my experience it is normally the Registry performing a major meltdown that causes the problem to occur, as the PC loses track of hardware installed then when you go to repair or restore, the PC cannot find this information anywhere and simply stalls at around 39% complete.

Regards

AC

drcspy
09-03-2005, 01:10 PM
update..........i pulled the ram and changed it .......no joy......pulled all the pci cards .......still no joy.........pulled the agp card and replaced it with a crap s3 pci card and nows it's gone thru the repair correctly......perhaps the agp card is not too well.........