PDA

View Full Version : How to upgrade?

Edward
08-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a cheap way to boost my computer's performance. It's an old computer, so i'm not wanting to spend too much (No more than $50) on it. I'm looking to increase it's CPU and RAM, and am looking for the parts of trademe. or should I say tardme

It's a socket 7 thing, with an amd k-5 116mhz processor. This is hopelessly slow, and I'm looking for a 200mhz or 233mhz (MMX preferebly) pentium to replace it. Question 1. Will my current fan be OK for it? It's my understanding that AMDs run slightly hotter than intels, so the fans are likely to be a tad bigger, but will this apply to this case? Also, what is a reasonable price for a CPU like this?

The next query is about the RAM. It's currently got 32mb, which has to be divvied between windows ME, windows media player and XAMPP lite. I'm looking to expand this to 96mb (IE dropping in a 64mb module). The mobo manual (Yes, I do have that :D) says it'll take either FPM/EDO SIMMS and SD DIMMS. I'm looking for a SD module, as that's what the existing one is. The question is, will it take standard PC 100 168pin RAM?

Thanks, Edward :)

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Are you in Auckland?? Nope I doubt it'll take PC100 simms. Not if it takes EDO.

It sounds a bit too old to handle this kind of ram. I've got a MMX 233 intel CPU socket 7 CPU here. And the fan somewhere. Which is doing nothing right now, as I dont have a socket 7 mobo now.

And some EDO ram (4x 16mb) lol and 2x 64 I think it is. Or 2x32mb? 1 of them.

If you were in Mt Eden / Auckland, you can come and pick the CPU/fan up for free. I have nothing here, to put it in. I think the CPU was about $75 a few years ago. I'm pretty sure it still works tho.

Prescott
08-03-2005, 09:24 PM
nah edward is from Christchurch

Edward
08-03-2005, 09:25 PM
aah :(. I'm in Christchurch :(

robinm
08-03-2005, 09:31 PM
you will have to find a AMD processor, although Intel and AMD both use socket 7 they are electronicly different, ie you can put an Intel socket 7 cpu into a amd socket 7 mobo, but it will not work!!, and if your mobo will take sdram, then you can put any speed in it but it will only run at the preditermined speed as set by the mobo, proberly 60. I just did a wee system here, a p1 133mhz which had a whopping 32 mb of edo, I found enough matching pairs of edo to give it 128mb and the wee thing flew along quite nicley on W95.

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Hmm OK Robin. Edward do you know what the brand and model is of this socket 7 mobo??

zqwerty
08-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Edward do you know Molten Media in ChCh? Check them out for older parts.

robinm
08-03-2005, 09:44 PM
correction to my previous post, I stuffed up, socket 7's can use AMD or Intel, its the later one, slot 1 that looks the same as the AMD one but are electronicly different.

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Yup i thought it would work. As this was in a Soyo socket 7 mobo, which took AMD and Intel CPU.

I've sent u a PM Edward.....FYI.

the highlander
08-03-2005, 11:03 PM
A different and more rough approach would be to get hold of a small form factor compaq
These are available off trademe or here http://computerlink.co.nz
for bugger all ($39+ gst at computerlink) This gets you a 333 p2 64 megs ram, 4 meg agp and onboard sound and 6 gig hardrive. They dont usally come with cd rom which is a laptop type but its dead easy to hack a hole in top or side and run a cd rom externally. Not particularly trendy but it would beat the snot off a amd 233 or p233

Cicero
09-03-2005, 07:16 AM
Called into Computer Future in Gasson. I see they have combined with a second hand parts crowd,lots of cheap stuff laying about,maybe worth a look?