PDA

View Full Version : Can I share MYOB without a server?

JasonEdward
08-03-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm setting up a basic home network with XP Home edition and a netwrok cable connection, via a ADSL wired router.

I want both of (only) two PCs to be able to use the MYOB, but I am told it can only be installed on one PC. I know I can share some folers with XP file dsharing, but what about MYOB sharing?

If I would need a server, could I use MYOB trial edition, and then save the data and transfer to the PC with the permanent MYOB programme in it before the 30 day period is over and the trial software automatically deletes the file?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Murray P
08-03-2005, 05:52 PM
I'm sure there is a multi user network edition of MYOB for using on a network. You could work around it, as you suggest, by importing and exporting data between two single user versions, althoughthis could be disabled in a trial version. If you were to purchasing MYOB it would be cheaper to get the multi user version than to get 2+ single user versions.

If you don't mind, why are you using a trial version, are you trying it out or just need a temporary accommadation? I would not use a trial to input important (permanent) data on, especially if it is business/work data. If it's home finance type data, MYOB is probably way over the top functionally, you'd be better off using a free personal finance programme.

Murray P
08-03-2005, 06:31 PM
By the way, I doubt the EULA allows you to install a single copy on two PC's, even if it is a trial version. Check it out :xmouth:

merlin
08-03-2005, 07:03 PM
<< I want both of (only) two PCs to be able to use the MYOB, but I am told it can only be installed on one PC. I know I can share some folers with XP file dsharing, but what about MYOB sharing? >>

Only with the multi-user version.
For single user versions, the data file is locked out once accessed.

<< If I would need a server, could I use MYOB trial edition, and then save the data and transfer to the PC with the permanent MYOB programme in it before the 30 day period is over and the trial software automatically deletes the file? >>

Again no if using the 30 day single user trial version. The multi-user version is not released in trial format. The single user trial version needs to be upgraded using a retail version before the data file is secured.

He who laughs, lasts
- Mary Pettibone Poole

JasonEdward
09-03-2005, 09:06 AM
I guess I need to explain:

I run a home business and am starting to use MYOB, but I want to be able to input data from both of the PCs in my simple home "network".

Multi-user versions of MYOB are not cost-effective for me nor is a server worthwhile to my business use, but I feel using two PCs for data input should be possible.

I understand a single copy of MYOB lets you open as many accounts as you like.
so why can't I use it in this way?

I can't see that what I want to do is anything unethical or dodgey - correct me if you think I'm wrong - but I think that MYOB should actually allow for this to happen - all I want is data entry from two PCs.

Maybe MYOB is related to Microsoft.

godfather
09-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Your question is still confusing perhaps.

While it is clear that you cannot access the DAT file in MYOB in a single user version because it becomes file-locked by the first PC to open it, perhaps that is not really what you want to do.

I suspect you will be able to use it from one PC at a time, over the network but not from both PC's at a time. The second install would reference the data files on the main PC, where it is stored?

Surely it costs nothing to try, if you have both MYOB and a network?

Murray P
09-03-2005, 09:43 AM
As Merlin has said, I think you'll find that the EULA (End User License Agreement) will prohibit this type of use in a single user version. You also have the problem of restricted functions in the trial version where you can't save certain types of data (which might be a work around in the full version but, chances are it locks you out).

There are other, more cost effective, accounting packages if your needs are relatively simple. For eg, PC World has had CashBook Complete on it's CD's for some time now.

tweak'e
09-03-2005, 10:17 AM
i havn't tried it but just check if you can install a satelite ver on the other pc. the satelite ver is a cut down ver of the main prog but enables you to input data into it. however not all account programs have a satelite type setup.

you might be able to share the myob folder and run the exe from the other pc over the lan. it dosn't work with all programs and only one user can use it at once.

JasonEdward
10-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks people.

I'm guess I am asking the impossible and my situation is best addressed by a server but I don't want to go to that expense.

Thanks again...

Murray P
10-03-2005, 03:13 PM
You don't need a (dedicated) server to run network capable software, Just load it on one PC and the networking nature of the programme will take care of the sharing aspect, or if it's a multi user license you load it on the two PC's you have. I don't know which way MYOB operates.

Have you investigated cheaper options than MYOB for multi user programmes? Most will import the data from other programmes, if you change and if that is a concern.

Glenn
05-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Hi Jason

I needed to setup MYOB exactly like you, and so far it seems to work fine.

I did call MYOB's 0800 number and spoke to Sue. She kept telling me they don't give network support for the product and I kept telling her I didn't need any. I just wanted to know if A, it's possible, and B, there were no legal issues involved. She said there were no legal issues for accessing the same program and company file on another computer on a network. The technical limitation would of course be that only one person could use it at a time since this version (Accounting 14) was not designed for multiple users and would lock the company file once opened.

Once you've installed, registered and created the company file on computer one, just install MYOB on computer two. Since you will not need to create a company file, there is no registration process. I just put a shortcut to the company file on the desktop (you may need to associate it with MYOB) and use that to launch the program. You could also open MYOB then open the company file from there.

It works fine so far, but I'll let you know if anything changes.

Hope that helps.

Greg
05-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Good reply Glenn. Finally someone understood his simple question! :eek:

godfather
05-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Good reply Glenn. Finally someone understood his simple question! :eek:
Which was exactly what I suggested in my March post?