PDA

View Full Version : Do not know password

gradebdan
08-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Hi
My son bought a secondhand computer (win2000 pro.) .It went well for about 6 months then started slowing down. Now when you start it up it asks for a password. (It had a network card so we put in "administrator" for the user name) My ? is, is there any way we can get round the password problem. I went into Dos where there are 2 mentions of "password", pressed some buttons which made it say "password disabled" but on start up it still needs a password to progress. Any help would be much appreciated.
The original config. had the password already filled in. Since we had to reinstall win2000 now is blank.

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2005, 05:09 PM
See if this works

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

pctek
08-03-2005, 08:18 PM
That previous fix sounds messy. Just use ERD Commander if you can get hold of it. Boot up with it and it then allows you to chnage the adminimstartor password, then you can boot back up and delete/chnage whatever you like.

gibler
08-03-2005, 11:31 PM
That previous fix sounds messy. Just use ERD Commander if you can get hold of it. Boot up with it and it then allows you to chnage the adminimstartor password, then you can boot back up and delete/chnage whatever you like.

No, it works quite well. Admittedly, it isn't the most user-friendly in that it asks alot of questions when most answers usually are the default ones. Ask long as you just blank the admin password it works very well. I use it routinely at work as part of the Ultimate Boot CD suite to get past the "what's an admin account?" problem. I like the price too.

The hardest part is changing the bios setup to boot off cd on some systems that have cryptic bios entry keystrokes.

gradebdan
09-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi Speedy G
that site looks too complicated for my limited knowledge.
Hi Pctek,
I found ERD cOMMANDER but they wanted $149 for it (prob. US $)
I hope another solution will come up.
Tks anyway

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Well do a search in google or yahoo for lost windows 2000 password or similar.

beama
09-03-2005, 11:04 PM
I believe Jen posted a link to a linux resue cd (bootable)which has a utilty on it that allows for this to be done (change lost passwords) try a forum search.