PDA

View Full Version : Is this for a floppy or a hdd?

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2005, 12:33 PM
I've been getting this error the last few days in Event Viewer (XP).

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D.

Anyone know what the D means??? D on here is a dvd burner
and it works fine. Or does it mean the floppy?

I know this error means an ide or floppy cable (or a cable)
maybe faulty and needs to be replaced,

BUT which one is it (this error) talking about??!!!!

I use a 120GB SATA (partitioned) as the main hdd,
with XP on it, and the IDE is on primary master (80gb).
By itself.

BOTH seem to be running fine. I can access both , no prob
at all.

And the cd/dvd burner on secondary master/slave.

And theyre working fine. So, whats this error trying to tell
me !

ninja
08-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Google-Fu:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1091944059

I'd say it's your card reader.

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Oh ok then :) Hmm that seems to be OK. Well the icons for it appear in My computer. BUT I cant actually test it coz I have no cards atm :(

BUT it was going with an SD card before.

It might be normal as it says on that URL, since there's nothing in any of the slots?

Might send Apacer an email, see if they say the same thing. (and if its normal).

Ta

Hmm bugger. You haveta put the serial # in for the reader lol, on the site, which is on the bottom (or the top) of the reader.

And its in a spare floppy bay. I think I'll forget it. Not pulling this to bits just to find a serial #.

ninja
08-03-2005, 01:21 PM
If you read further through the thread:

Well, this is interesting. Disk 2 turns out to be the Compact Flash reader that's installed in my photo printer. Does this error mean that Windows "thinks" the card reader is a hard drive, and it's trying to access it and failing because there's
no media in the drive? The Computer Management applet knows that this is a removeable drive, but it is labeled Disk 2. You'll probably find the errors stop once you put some media in the reader.

Graham L
08-03-2005, 01:23 PM
You have had a card in it, so the OS has seen a "disk" there. So now it wonders where it's gone.;)

It ought to know that it's a removable disk, like a floppy. But it's horribly complicated to handle such things, so it's not surprising that mistakes are made, and error messages are sent.

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Ah ok thats cool then. I wont worry too much about that error.

Well yer all the slots in it appear in My computer which is normal
(H,I,J,K).

Altho the error could have explained itself a bit better instead of hdd.

It could say something like card reader (or USB device), so it would be easier to figure out what XP means!

Hmm come to think of it, it may also be this digital cam/webcam, which has a sd slot in it as well. And it is currently connected to a USB hub. And also gets detected by BIOS on bootup.

And this appears as a Removable Disk (the same as what XP detects the card reader as)