PDA

View Full Version : Using WinRAR only on zip files I choose.

MMM
08-03-2005, 11:22 AM
OS is WinXP SP1 Pro.
Installed the trial version of WinRAR to try it out and it's taken over as default of all my compressed files. I would prefer to keep the option open to use the Windows Compressed(Zipped) Folders Extraction Wizard, but in the Folder Options>File Types the files now come under WinRAR.

How do I change the zipped files type back to what it was before? What is the "name" of the program that was there before WinRAR pushed it out?

Also, as I wasn't able to update through AdAwareSE to get the March update, I downloaded zipped update and intended to just extract it into the AdAware folder as I have done before, but WinRAR took it over, and gave me choices :groan: and I don't know whether I'm supposed to update as a rewrite or whatever :stare: .

Will probably uninstall WinRAR if I can't maintain my options over which programs I use to unzip. Just hope it doesn't lock up anything that it has unzipped so far :eek:

Any help out there would really be appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Run My computer / tools/ folder options / filetypes. Go down to zip
and click on change, then select compressed (zipped files).

This should let XP open them as default.

Or go into Winrar's options, and untick the formats, u dont want it to handle.

sal
08-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Open WinRAR and go to Options, select the Integration tab, and unselect file extensions you dont want it to associate with. I have them all selected except for ZIP, JAR and ISO. That should revert back to previous ZIP file associations.

You might want to untick 'Integrate WinRAR into Shell' which removes the WinRAR clutter from context menus.

- hah, Speedy beat me.

MMM
08-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks Speedy Gonzales and Sal for the prompt reply :thumbs:
I've downloaded some zip files and was too scared to open them in case WinRAR grabbed them.
Doesn't WinRAR get a really firm hold on the OS? Copying Nortons's I suppose :D Must count the number of their icons that appeared everywhere. Must be a record!

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2005, 12:07 PM
They'll open with XP's default zip program, if u changed zip in file options / or unticked zip in Winrar's options.

I use Powerarchiver. Seems to support a lot of formats, including winzip and rar files.

FoxyMX
08-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Doesn't WinRAR get a really firm hold on the OS? Copying Nortons's I suppose :D Must count the number of their icons that appeared everywhere. Must be a record!
WinRAR is a great program that I always use on PCs prior to Win XP that need files unzipped and on my own computer when I require advanced capabilities that Win XP's zipper cannot do.

When you installed WinRAR you would have been presented with a setup window of options to choose which files you wished to associate with the program and whether you wished it to integrate itself into the Windows shell. It explains what these options are and even invites you to click on the "Help" button for more detailed information. You obviously just clicked OK without checking what you were actually doing so blaming WinRAR for "taking over" is very unfair. It only did what you told it to do and most certainly does NOT "do a Nortons" on your computer.

Fortunately for you WinRAR is has very good manners, unlike a great deal of software out there, so you can quite easily change the options to how you want them as has been explained to you by Speedy and Sal. Next time you might not be so lucky so I would recommend that you read about what you are doing before you press any "OK" buttons to install programs in future.

MMM
08-03-2005, 05:37 PM
When you installed WinRAR you would have been presented with a setup window of options to choose which files you wished to associate with the program and whether you wished it to integrate itself into the Windows shell.
Rightly or wrongly, I prefer to do the "altering to my preferences" after the basic installation takes place. I told it where to install and where to put the shortcuts. Irfan View also has lots of options re: types of picture files it is able to associate with as well, but it doesn't set the basic program up to automatically make itself the sole program to do that.
I prefer it to be an option like Irfan View, whereby when you right click on a picture [zip file in WinRAR], the "open with" option lets you choose Windows picture & fax viewer, Paint, Avant Browser, Irfan View, or choose another program... Maybe I ask too much of WinRAR in your opinion.

...so blaming WinRAR for "taking over" is very unfair. It only did what you told it to do and most certainly does NOT "do a Nortons" on your computer.
You have to admit it covers a lot of territory, and seemed to me to be appearing wherever I went in my computer. Like being on a desert island for months then all of a sudden a shipload of people arrive.
Yes, it does leave my ZIP, ISO, CAB files alone now thank to Speedy and Sal.
There is no need to get so defensive about the program. Idle remarks I made after thanking my helpers were simply expressing my reactions, not to damn the program. I am not in a position yet have an opinion on how well the program works, and judging by your reaction, guess I'll be keeping it to myself anyway now. Count your blessings. Phew!!