PDA

View Full Version : Slow network share access

CYaBro
08-03-2005, 10:41 AM
I have got a customer who just upgraded their server from Windows 2000 Server to Windows Server 2003.
All went perfectly except for one workstation.
It is running Windows XP Pro SP2 on a Celeron 1.7GHz with 256MB RAM and 40GB HDD.
The problem is that when they try to access one of the shares on the server (as a mapped drive on the workstation) it takes forever for the folder/drive to open.
Now, there are about 1800 folders in this share but it worked fine before the switch to Server 2003.
It used to take about 3-4 seconds to open but now it's about 20 seconds.
All other workstations are fine, even an old Pentium 200 running Win95 opens it in about 5 seconds.
I have enabled the indexing service on the server and on the workstation but it made no difference.

Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers!

johnboy
08-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Maybe??
http://www.ss64.com/nt/slow_browsing.html
hth

Graham L
08-03-2005, 01:18 PM
20 seconds is "forever". Haven't expectations crept up? ;)

But just in case, I'd check the Ethernet cable to that client. Or at least look at the flashy lights on the hub/switch/adaptor.;)

CYaBro
08-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Cheers jonboy, will go through that and see what happens.

Graham, 20 seconds is forever in computer terms :D
No other problems with the network on this PC so it's not the cable.

Erayd
08-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Is the correct DNS set for this machine? It should have the WS2003 server manually set as a DNS server, or automatically set via DHCP. Otherwise Windows has to spend forever and a day trying to find the right IP for Kerberos authentication. Is it possible that the server IP address has changed, and the problematic client was the only pc that gets its DNS from the manual setting? (And therefore the only one that didn't automatically adapt).

Bletch

CYaBro
09-03-2005, 08:31 AM
All PC's use DHCP to get IP address, gateway/router and DNS.
The IP address of the server has not changed.

CYaBro
09-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Tried all options as per johnboys link and made no difference.

I have also updated the network card drivers on this workstation, changed patch cables and port on the switch and problem is still there.
Did a bit of searching in Google and found a couple of registry tweaks but they made no difference either :(
Next option: Try a fresh install of Windows XP Pro :(