PDA

View Full Version : need best quality when making audio cds

bigmit37
08-03-2005, 08:19 AM
I am planning to make an audio cd using various mp3 songs that I have...I want to ensure that I am getting the best quality that I am capable of...So wondering whats the best application...At the moment I am using nero...I also wanted to know if there are any other factors I should consider to get the best quality...thank you

CYaBro
08-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Well since you want to make an audio CD from MP3 files you are not going to get CD quality sound anyway so it probably makes no difference what program you use.
One thing to do though would be to burn the CD at the slowest speed possible.

Robby
08-03-2005, 08:55 AM
gidday,

Really, it comes down to what you consider to be acceptable to you,different
discs produce different sound, with different sofware, so its a matter of experimenting until you are happy with the final disc.

If it's any help, I use windows media player, with a melody disc.

Audacity is a good basic editor if you need to tweak things a bit.

good luck,

Robby

Metla
08-03-2005, 09:05 AM
The basic truth being you can't add quality, so if they are encoded at a low bitrate then your stuck with what you have.....

Misty
08-03-2005, 07:40 PM
The basic truth being you can't add quality, so if they are encoded at a low bitrate then your stuck with what you have.....

What does that mean in layman's terms please, Metla ? -- "low bitrate" ??
Misty :@@:

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2005, 08:00 PM
What does that mean in layman's terms please, Metla ? -- "low bitrate" ??
Misty :@@:

Bitrate as in most MP3's are 128 kbps. 128k means the MP3 takes 128 bits per second.

Some programs can create MP3's from 8 to 320 kbps.

The higher the bitrate the better the quality.

The lower the bitrate is - forget it.

Misty
08-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Bitrate as in most MP3's are 128 kbps. 128k means the MP3 takes 128 bits per second.

Some programs can create MP3's from 8 to 320 kbps.

The higher the bitrate the better the quality.

Thanks Speedy G
What is the bitrate then for a standard CD then please ? Presumably Wav are measured in the same way ?
Misty

Altec_
08-03-2005, 08:43 PM
According to MS, it's usually between 48 and 96, depending on the disc and how well it was pressed.

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Umm not too sure what the normal bitrate of a cd is, but by the looks of it, u can rip an Audio CD up to 320 kbps, so I just found out, in Nero. When u convert songs on an Audio CD to MP3 format.

Wav, I guess are the same as MP3, just bigger files. WAV are basically the same as MP3, just a different format. But when I just played a WAV file in Jetaudio, it does bring the WAV up when playing in Kbps.

So, yes WAV are also measured in Kbps.

Robby
09-03-2005, 09:11 AM
gidday,

It's generaly accepted, that the so called 'cd quality' for an mp3 starts at
128kps and upwards, however, I've heard music at 96kps and under, and found some are of good standard.

You can sometimes improve an mp3 slightly, by changing the bitrate, to
a higher one and also change the stereo output as well. However, the trade
off is the everytime you change the format, there can be a slight loss of quality.

a freebie called audiograbber will allow you to play with bitrates if you wish.

cheers,

Robby

tweak'e
09-03-2005, 10:26 AM
What is the bitrate then for a standard CD then please ?

basicly 320, the highest you can rip a cd at. anything less and your losing quaility. however what your ears hear is a different story. most peole can't hear the difference if they tried and rest just don't try ;). 128k sounds fairly crappy but sounds ok if don't listen to the detail. 160 i find is a good comprimise, better quality without getting to big in file size.

bigmit37
09-03-2005, 03:12 PM
nice thanx a lot guys...I will try to make sure that the songs are of higher bitrate...and I guess I will eventually looking into that program audiograbber..seems like it will be a little complicated...