PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Pc's

mikeb
07-03-2005, 09:39 PM
I am involved in graphic design but I have having a regular problem with the pc I am using creating strange error messages and loosing data I have just saved. I have the pc loaded with both Macromedia software and Adobe Indesign as well as Pagemaker 7 and Microsoft office etc. The pc is a 1 Ghz machine with 230G hard drive, 1 Gb of ram. I have a portable hard drive for backup. The problem is that sometimes Adobe photoshop will not open at all. To get it going my IT man has to reset the profiles. Then at other times I have trouble saving in pagemaker and although I save my work at every stage I loose some of the previously saved pages. I have been told numerous stories about the size of machine I need to run these graphic projects (often I am moving 1 Gb files around) but no one can really advise the best set up for a graphics pc that will work with these big files and be trouble free. Can anyone with graphics experiance help?

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2005, 09:42 PM
What sorta Graphics Card are you using?

What OS? Is it Updated with the latest Service Packs?

Welcome to PressF1...!

Chill.

Metla
07-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Can't give too much help with your current setup, Though if you have an IT guy why not just tell him to stop dicking around and fix it?

Not to be harsh, But everything is fixiable and I presume the guy is employed and not just a freindly neibour it guy?

Anyhow, what sort of setup do you need?

Relaiability,grunt and storage space are your main factors.

The only way to garentee reliability is to get brand new gear, and don't use the PC on the net,ever.Or at least limit it to email and safe surfing.

As for specs, a couple of HUGE stat drives,2 gig of ram,and a big fat p4, coupled with a big fat expensive CPU is an expensive case with "you beaut" cooling.

And top it off with a basic (but still required) video card (ATI 9550)

Would cost in the region of 2 grand, But if iuts a work machine it would be money well spent....Speeding up your work rate immensily,and ensuring a reliable system to work on.

Murray P
07-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Just to add to the others suggestions. Use the sata drives in a RAID array with NTFS file system.

In the meantime, make sure all but necessary start up programmes are disabled, including Find Fast and OSA (Office Startup).

Murray P
07-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Oh!, and if it's pure graphics processing power you want, IMO, go for an AMD 64 CPU not an Intel. Intel is better at video though. AMD VS Intel graphics comparison here (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2353&p=7) and here (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2353&p=10). I humbly await correction.

Metla
07-03-2005, 10:48 PM
interesting.

The second chart on the first page shows a bench from a Video editing suite and the AMD spanks the P4 untill it cries like a girl.

So much for trying to promote Intel in the area they excel at ( I was under the impression they were still the mutts when it came to graphic work...and of course the much heraled Video editing, now it seems they just suck right across the range.

I can now slip back into my comfortable position of AMD fanboy...otherwise known as informed, Though even more informed due to the above linked info.