PDA

View Full Version : Gentoo Printing

jcr1
07-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Can someone please tell me will these commands start cups (make printer available) from startup.

# rc-update add cupsd default
# /etc/init.d/cupsd restart

I've made some progress, had to use Stylus Photo R200, as R210 is not supported and print results are not crash hot.

Have to use a generic printer setup for Open Office, but it's fine for what I might need with this application.

jcr1
07-03-2005, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=jcr1]

I've made some progress, had to use Stylus Photo R200, as R210 is not supported and print results are not crash hot.

Actually I just printed one of my digital photos and its not too bad at all.

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2005, 10:43 PM
rc-update add cupsd default
^^ This will set it so that when you next reboot, it will be added to startup

/etc/init.d/cupsd start
^^ This will start cupsd so you dont have to reboot

Chill.

jcr1
07-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Thanks Chill,
The printing is actually working out pretty good.

Just a question with the Gimp; I should have USE="gimpprint" enabled before I emerge gimp. I did that from the command line, but it didn't work. Could you tell me where I should set this up?

ILikeLinux
08-03-2005, 07:08 AM
You set global use flags in /etc/make.conf
so in make.conf you would have a line saying

USE="gimpprint"

Chilling_Silence
08-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Basically you would type it as:

USE="gimpprint" emerge gimp

Otherwise to set the flag permanently, follow ILL's instruction :)

USE="gimpprint" emerge gimp -pv
This is also good practise!

jcr1
08-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks Chill & you too ILL,
I have set the flag permanently and am emerging gimp, again.

The photo I test printed off is really quite good so it looks like I'm away with the printer.

I could never get it to work with Libranet so there's another big tick for Gentoo.

I suppose I should install some software for my digital camera next

jcr1
08-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Printing with gimp print works just fine.
Just a question: what does the -pv command do; I can't find reference to it in the Gentoo handbook.

Chilling_Silence
08-03-2005, 10:16 PM
p = Pretend
v = verbose

Basically it'll tell you all the packages it'll emerge and the USE flags to go with it :)

man emerge

Chill.

jcr1
09-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Thanks Chill,
Your distribution looks interesting, but you can probably appreciate that I have enough to cope with with my new Gentoo installation.

I have got printing to work pretty darn good now and also, I've installed digiKam and gphoto2 and libgphoto2. Set the USE flag to gphoto2 (I read in the Gentoo forum that this is what one has to do to get digikam to work) and the digital camera works with Gentoo. :D

I'm really pleased with the way it's shaping up; it can be tricky at times, but this would be the most satisfying version of Linux that I've played with; I actually feel like I'm getting somewhere.
I mean I now have sound, printer, digital camera and a good configurable display, plus a good upgrade and installation option and I've never before had a combination of all of them working.
I have tried; Mandrake, Red Hat, Debian (absolute disaster), Progeny (pitiful), Libranet (pretty good).

Chilling_Silence
09-03-2005, 08:19 PM
It really is the winner, once you've tried it you cant go back (Fair to say you think?)!

Good to hear about all the progress you're making, keep us informed

Chill.

ILikeLinux
09-03-2005, 08:26 PM
This is probably a little late, but here goes for the record.

If you only want to set the use flag for one package,
1'st, make shure that the /etc/portage directory is existing, if not, create it.

OK, so we want to set the use flag "gimpprint" for package "gimp",
execute the following code.

echo "gimp gimpprint" >> /etc/portage/package.use
And if we want to do the same, but for only one version of gimp, (i will use the latest version)

echo "=media-gfx/gimp-2.0.4 gimpprint " >> /etc/portage/package.use
You can also use >= and <= and others.

Yeah, just thought i would include this, as i think that the USE="gimpprint" emerge gimp , doesnt use the USE flags when you update world.

jcr1
09-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks ILL (unfortunate abbreviation?),

I will use the code you posted and I've also copied it into a special folder along with some other "pearls" from you and Chill, for future reference.