PDA

View Full Version : is my data lost?? or readable?

almunro
07-03-2005, 05:54 PM
ok, my computer running xp home has decided to sh*t itslef and not boot into windows. when it tries its gets to the xp splash screen then resets. when i try safe mode it hangs with the last file loaded being mup.sys.

ive plugged the hdd into another comp but it wont recognise it... and i think thats because when i use the windows setup disk it prompts me that the hdd partition is corrupt or unpartitioned etc and i should reformat...

ive read that the only real cure for this is to reformat but i really need to get some data off the drive before i reformat.... and no i do not have backups of the data i need..... so is there anyway to read it?

any ideas would be great help.

Alex,

Myth
07-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Try ghosting the drive onto a known good harddrive before you reformat

Murray P
07-03-2005, 07:35 PM
mup.sys can be a problem, if I remeber correctly it is more a symptom of something else, but don't panic, it's unlikely your drive has died if this is the only issue, more like the OS or a driver has **** itself.

Have you changed anything recently, particularl hardware. Pop the drive back in the PC, try to boot, if no go boot with the XP CD and try a Repair, next disconnect all your USB devices, how'd that go?

Check out the MS knowledge base

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Are you using a Prescott CPU and XP SP2??

If u r, u may have to update your BIOS. (Which might save u getting the fix below).

And I think this is the fix. BUT I think you have to uninstall SP2 if u have it (If u can get in XP) install this then reinstall SP2.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9b99c199-5d75-454f-ae07-b620727be8d8&displaylang=en

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Also, if this does sound like your prob, go here

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm

Go down to this heading Intel P4 Prescott, Celeron D, or Extreme Edition processor

And follow the instructions.

Murray P
07-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Good page Speedy.

If you scroll down to the heading:

"Data Execution Prevention prevents complete booting or shutting down"

and the next one down:

"Hangs after reboot, keeps rebooting endlessly, or does not shut down"

You might find a pointer to the problem, if you haven't already nailed it with the other suggestions. Some info on repairing XP there too.

pctek
07-03-2005, 10:55 PM
And if you can't fix it and need to get your data - you will need to take the HDD out and connect it up to another working PC so they can copy your files off it.

almunro
08-03-2005, 01:02 AM
thanks for the suggestions but they dont seem to cover it.... i cant even get xp setup disk to see the partition as being used.... it says unpartitioned space... when it is deefinitley not. ive tried plugging it in to my other computer and the bios recognises it but windows doesnt so i cant get my files.

i dont have service pack 2 on it anyway.

dont know why it happened, turned it on yesterday morning and it wouldnt boot.

as for ghosting i wouldnt know where to start.

Morgenmuffel
08-03-2005, 08:39 AM
I had a problem with the os not loading on my previous machine, not the same error as you

but what i did - was use a linux live disk to boot the computer up (means the windows os is ignored completely)this mounted my HDD, and i moved all my files to a backup HDD, then I reinstalled windows on the original hdd and it workrd perfectly again

I think Knoppix may be of use, someone will you know I'm sure

Murray P
08-03-2005, 08:50 AM
thanks for the suggestions but they dont seem to cover it.... i cant even get xp setup disk to see the partition as being used.... it says unpartitioned space... when it is deefinitley not. ive tried plugging it in to my other computer and the bios recognises it but windows doesnt so i cant get my files.

i dont have service pack 2 on it anyway.

dont know why it happened, turned it on yesterday morning and it wouldnt boot.

as for ghosting i wouldnt know where to start.

What have you tried? Have you tried to repair the XP installation by replacing the drive in the PC and booting from the XP CD, then following the instructions given in the links for repairing OS installations and, replacing and registering specific files?

You still haven't answered some questions, have you changed anything lately, like installed new drivers or hardware, tweaked some settings, anything?

almunro
09-03-2005, 07:59 PM
no i havent changed anything lately. it was ok one night and the next day when i turned it on it wouldnt boot. i have already said that if i boot off the xp setup cd the setup program does not even recognised the partition as having anythin gon it let alone an operating system to repair.... the only options i get are to format quick or format normal.

i might try the linux thing.

gibler
09-03-2005, 10:44 PM
knoppix as rescue (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Rescue_FAQ)

I've used it before on a XP laptop with a failing hard drive. I couldn't even get a recovery console on the thing ... I used a network and Samba Client with Knoppix to get the user data off before doom struck.

It worked well, Linux can be more forgiving of failing hardware.

Check that the hard drive is failing with the Makers diagnostic software.

Murray P
09-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Check that the hard drive is failing with the Makers diagnostic software.

Good idea. I still have my suspicions that it is a driver or OS problem like Windows Management. It would be a good idea to copy everything on the drive before diagnosing though, because if it is failing every access could be the last. While your got the drive mounted in linux, you could check it out with QTparted (similar to Partition Magic) but don't make/commit any changes.

almunro
10-03-2005, 12:21 AM
ok thanks guys..... ive used the live disc and it seems to have been able to find all my data and i can now save the various files. thanks for the help.

Alex.