PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2000 vs Outlook Express 6

Tony
07-03-2005, 05:50 PM
I've been a long-time user of Outlook, the main reason being that it had built-in support for Fax transport. I've just realized (yeah, I know I'm slow...) that since XP supports faxing natively, I don't have to use Outlook - I could use OE6 like the rest of the family.

Can anyone give any compelling reasons for/against Outlook 2000 vs OE6?

I do realize there are many other options available (Eudora, Pegasus Mail etc.) but I don't want to look at that for the moment, as my email requirements are pretty simple and straightforward, and anyway I'm already familiar with OE6.

As usual, all contributions will be gratefully received.

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Well XP does have a fax program but it doesnt install by default.

So, unless u look in add/remove programs, u wouldnt know it existed!

You cant use it within Outlook Express tho, if thats what u were asking. Its separate from Outlook Express.

Never used Outlook, tho basically it does the same as OE, but with a few more options in it. Both are full of bugs, until u update. So, if u do intend to change to OE, I hope u have all XP updates!

I use Winfax 10 myself, which supports sending faxes via email. It might be a bit bigger than XP, but its also better.

Tony
07-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Our family currently use both Outlook (2000) and Outlook Express 6, both under a fully updated XP Home. I have installed the XP fax facility. It is because it runs separate from the email app that I can consider losing Outlook. Outlook also supports sending faxes via email, if what you mean by that is creating an email and sending it to a fax address - or do you mean the other way round (creating a fax and sending it to an email address)?

One significant difference I am aware of is that Outlook supports automation/control by other programs and is itself programmable, whereas Outlook Express does not. This is not an issue for me in my home environment, though it was for a client who wanted to be able to initiate emails from within the Access application I built for him. We couldn't do that with OE.

I suspect OE is going to be fine for the future -I am just looking for some other opinions.

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Outlook also supports sending faxes via email, if what you mean by that is creating an email and sending it to a fax address - or do you mean the other way round (creating a fax and sending it to an email address)?

The other way round. (I think).

With Winfax 10.03+, it lets u add the emails from the address book from OE (it'll most probably work with any email program with an address book).

So, u can send a fax thru to someones email, and it comes out like a fax.

Altho, I havent actually tried this yet. I've just read it. BUT its installed atm.

Tony
09-03-2005, 08:37 AM
bump

Murray P
09-03-2005, 09:22 AM
I think you'll find that the XP fax function uses Outlook or Exchange (or whatever ist's called now) or some component of it, to fax.

That's how it used to work in Win 95 & 98 (if you installed it from the CD). Maybe they have changed their ways and provided a completely indepednent fax capability, but I doubt it, intergration and interdependance is the name of the beast.

I realise this doesn't really answer your query, but it gets it to the top again where some kind soul may do the honours and correct any missinformation.

Alan Cotrell
09-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Hello Tony,

Have a look at this article regarding the capabilities of Windows XP Fax utility.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/crawford_02october21.mspx

It explains how to set it up and how to use it from different applications.

You do not have to use Outlook, however it's fax integration may be of use to you.

In general use the need to use Outlook or Outlook Express depends on the use you are putting the email client to.

Outlook Express is primarily designed for light home use, it is not designed to handle and store large quantities of mail (although plenty of people use it this way) it does not support auto archiving of mail or a host of other features that Outlook has.

However if your primary needs are just to send and receive mail in a no fuss way then Outlook Express is the way to go.

Regards

AC

Tony
09-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Have a look at this article regarding the capabilities of Windows XP Fax utility.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/crawford_02october21.mspx

Thanks for that Alan. I think the article may a be a bit out of date (Oct 2002) as it says you can't use fax over ADSL, whereas I know for a fact that people here do.

Murray - I'm 99.9% sure that XP fax is totally independent of Outlook or Outlook Express.

(OE6) not designed to handle and store large quantities of mail
What do you mean by "large quantities"? My wife's massed OE6 mail folders come to about 230mb, which it seems to handle OK.

As far as I can see if you don't want all the collaborative stuff, reminders etc than OE6 is fine - I am just looking for someone to tell me it is all going to be OK! :D

One other question - I do use Outlook occasionally to give myself reminders - appointments etc. What would I use instead?

FoxyMX
09-03-2005, 05:04 PM
One other question - I do use Outlook occasionally to give myself reminders - appointments etc. What would I use instead?So why do you want to change from Outlook to OE then? You may as well keep using it if it means that you will have to find extra programs to do what Outlook does for you now.

Tony
09-03-2005, 05:46 PM
So why do you want to change from Outlook to OE then? You may as well keep using it if it means that you will have to find extra programs to do what Outlook does for you now.
Good question - and maybe I will stick with Outlook. The main reason for changing would be to have a common platform on both PCs in the house, to improve ease-of-use for the less technically inclined.

Alan Cotrell
09-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Hello Tony,

"Thanks for that Alan. I think the article may a be a bit out of date (Oct 2002) as it says you can't use fax over ADSL, whereas I know for a fact that people here do"

This article is still completely correct in what it states, there never was and still never is a way to send a fax using ADSL technology.

You must as the article says either use a dial up modem or an online service for sending faxes, there is no other way if you wish to use solely your PC

"What do you mean by "large quantities"? My wife's massed OE6 mail folders come to about 230mb, which it seems to handle OK"

Exactly what I say, Plenty of people store huge amounts of data in OE folders,
I have one client who stored his whole genealogy photo set in an OE folder with the photos still attached to the email, this one folder was close to 1GB in size. he saw no reason to change his storage method either until things turned to custard and OE refused to load.

My recommendation is if your storage requirements are in the 100s of megabytes use Outlook and use the Auto Archive to keep the amount of mail actually being accessed at any one time manageable.

Regards

AC

Tony
09-03-2005, 09:17 PM
"Thanks for that Alan. I think the article may a be a bit out of date (Oct 2002) as it says you can't use fax over ADSL, whereas I know for a fact that people here do"

This article is still completely correct in what it states, there never was and still never is a way to send a fax using ADSL technology.So how come my friend says he is doing it? (I'm not arguing, just asking, and I haven't actually witnessed it happening).

You must as the article says either use a dial up modem or an online service for sending faxes, there is no other way if you wish to use solely your PCSo if I have an adsl line, can I still "dial up" using an ordinary modem if I want to? I've committed to adsl on the basis that I could still fax, so if I can't, then I have to find an alternative. :confused:

Tony
09-03-2005, 09:42 PM
This article is still completely correct in what it states, there never was and still never is a way to send a fax using ADSL technology.Have a look here. (http://www.rkssoftware.com/mightyfax/dslhookup.html) Would that be how my friend is doing it? (I can't ask him directly because he is away.)

Alan Cotrell
09-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Hello Again Tony,

"Have a look here. Would that be how my friend is doing it? (I can't ask him directly because he is away.)"

That diagram depicts a typical ADSL Modem for the Internet working in conjuction with a 56K Dial up modem for sending faxes.

It shows exactly what you would need to do to achieve your requirements.

The only Hardware you need is a Dial up Modem, which you probably already have

As previously stated the only other way your friend could send a fax with ADSl is by using a third party provider subscribed to through the Internet.

Regards

AC

Tony
09-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks Alan, I feel somewhat relieved. :thumbs: