PDA

View Full Version : Clearnet Problems when connecting

Woof
07-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Have used Clearnet for years but this year there are consistent problems when making the initial dial-up connection.

Frequently the connection cannot fully establish and after a minute or so gives an error message. So I just retry and usually it fully connects without issue although very occaisionally the connection speed is way too low (so I disconnect and then try again)

What have Clearnet down that could be causing these nearly routine initial connection problems ?

(Seems to me that now it's Clearnet that's become a dog and that it's time to try my next ISP, Orcon)

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Sounds like Ihug's dialup. U dial / connect, and sometimes it'll tell u the username /password is wrong. When it isnt.

I think its the server prob. Or most ISP's servers are out of date and theyre too lazy to do something about it. Like replace them.

Could even be line noise at your end. Pick up the phone dial 1. If u hear static, u have line noise. Ring telecom faults, ask them to do a line check.

ninja
07-03-2005, 01:34 PM
What's changed at your end? New phone? Moved house? New Fax machine? etc

What is the error message?

Have you called their helpdesk for assistance?

Blade2
07-03-2005, 02:57 PM
I have noticed recently my dial up (clear) is acting like a dog, but I have moved from sunny dunedin to windy wellington recently. Real slow and drops out a lot.

Peter H
07-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Pretty sure it's Clear - I used to be with Paradise and it always connected first time - now with Clear, and it's about 6 out of 10. Wellington based.
Bye

Woof
07-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Nothing has changed at my end, at all !!!!!!!!!! - just the performance of Clearnet :confused:

There are other subtle changes to the Clearnet performance but the most significant is that above, with making the initial dial-up connection over the last few months. :(

zqwerty
07-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Clearnet has been getting progressively worse over the last six months. Plenty of "cannot agree on PPP protocols, no answer, checking for password going on forever, and other error messages", late at night and in the early part of the day this almost never happens. I put it down to inadequate equipment at the other end. Probably time to change to a new ISP.

DUNK
08-03-2005, 02:17 AM
I notice that 'ClearNet' have just lowered their fee (150hr Dial-up)...
by $2 per month !...
Thought it was strange at the time...
Probably cheaper than buying new gear eh! :angry