PDA

View Full Version : partition causes HDD to go nuts.

Jams
07-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Hi all.

just recently put together a new system. Im using WinXP Pro and have set out 5 partitions, all ranging from 20 to 30gigs each, the C: having Windows isntalled on it and being 5gigs. i have a partition of 20gigs set for my downloads drive which has 2 gigs of install files for various apps. whenever i access this drive the HDD goes full load, which looks like the PC is trying to recognize all these files over again. it does the same thing whenever an application trys to access the downloads drive. Why does it do this.

i know theres not a problem with any of the hardware, because i have had the same problem with a completley different system, with the same setup, it happening to the downloads drive. is it becuase of the isntall files that i store on that drive ?

Cheers
James.

CYaBro
07-03-2005, 02:00 PM
How are these install files stored on the HDD?
Are they all in one folder e.g: D:\ or are they in their own folders?
If you have a lot of big executable compressed files in the same folder (most install files are these) the PC will try and read inside each file automatically and this will cause a lot of HDD activity.

Jams
07-03-2005, 02:29 PM
hmmm, yea, thats what i was thinking.

i have the install apps in one folder, and game updates and patches on another folder.

pctek
07-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Hi all.

just recently put together a new system. Im using WinXP Pro and have set out 5 partitions, all ranging from 20 to 30gigs each, the C: having Windows isntalled on it and being 5gigs.
Cheers
James.
Hmmm, what drive is the swapfile using? I have my O/S (XP bloatware) on its own partition too, but now (with whatever clutter its accumulated) it is using 5.06Gb. If your partition is only 5gb total, and thats where the swap file is, it could cause a problem. Not the one you have but more problems.