PDA

View Full Version : SuSE 9.2 problems

Overdrive_5000
07-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Hi people I installed SuSE 9.2 yesterday but I am having a few issues mainly to do with YaST online update and my video card (Geforce 6800LE) i managed to download the nvidia driver through YaST update said it installed but it shows up as LeadTek 0x0042 and wont let me enable 3d acceleration. Also in SuSE hardware tool under Unknown it has heaps of things like my cpu (Athlon 2400XP), my mobo, memory etc. And when I try to download other updates they sit on about 10% and dont seem to do anything im on a 1Mb connection
Any ideas as to how I can resolve these issues ? (im a complete linux n00b) please help me :help:

Jen
07-03-2005, 06:26 PM
With your 3D enabling, is this a check box that is greyed out somewhere? I've seen this before, and it stays like this even if you do have 3D enabed. Not sure if SuSE has this similar setting??

To see whether your nVidia driver was installed, run from a command line: glxinfo | grep NVIDA
This output should give the driver name/version. To see what your Video card is detected as run this command: glxinfo | grep renderer
You can also try out this command to test your driver: glxgears

You will see a small window open and 3 gears spinning, and some output appears in the terminal window. Use CTRL-C to stop it. This shows your FPS.

You might need to check out the SuSE support forums over your YaST update hanging on 10% and the entries under your hardware tool. :)

Overdrive_5000
09-03-2005, 11:18 AM
I reinstalled SuSE 9.2 managed to install nvidia driver but still no other updates will download so I may just nuke it when ubuntu arrives.

Simply_Si
09-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Just as a matter of interest, when you did the install did alter the locale to NZ or did you keep it as the default US locale. If this is the case that could explain the lack of updates available for download. I think it is due to the US governments export rules about security applications.

By changing your locale to NZ you should be downloading from a ftp server in Germany.

opefully this will solve your problem :)

Overdrive_5000
09-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Yep I made sure it was set to NZ during the install and tried all the update servers but no luck. When I first encountered that problem I disabled the firewall that worked for a while (to allow me to install the nvidia driver) but then the other updates get to about 10% and then communication seems to stop because the modem lights stay solid.

Simply_Si
10-03-2005, 11:46 PM
When are you doing these updates? Is it during the initial installation when it asks to check your connectivity and then asks if you would like to run the update?

Once the nVidia driver is installed, it is enabled after you have rebooted the computer.

I would try YAST YOU again using the default ftp server (currently showing as http://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/ ). Initially download either all of the patches except for the kernel or the kernel only. If you download all of the pre-selected (recommended) patches select remove source.

When YOU appears to hang what is it downloading? When it "hangs" at 10% is this the top bar or the bottom bar that you are talking about? The bottom bar is the total progress bar and when it reaches 50% it has actually finished downloading.

I'm sorry if I'm being too simplistic, but you did say you were a total noob :)

Overdrive_5000
11-03-2005, 09:23 AM
It is the top bar and it hangs with any update I try to download

Overdrive_5000
15-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Hello again people this problem is back again it seems I cant download anything off the net which makes it strange why some updates will download but most wont any suggestions as I would love to get this sorted once and for all please somebody :help: