PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried ms antispyware yet

Phil B
06-03-2005, 08:20 PM
I just installed it, thought I'd give it a go. My comp has been doing odd things even after running spybot & adaware. MS got it. The name is XferPro trojan downloaderhttp://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

tweak'e
06-03-2005, 08:48 PM
so what did it actually clean out ?

Phil B
06-03-2005, 08:53 PM
It was called XferPro, a trojan downloader. Downloads & install programs without permission. My running processes went from 37 to 34. I'm using AVG7 & Sygate personal firewall too. It sneaked in somehow.

tweak'e
06-03-2005, 08:58 PM
do you have the list of files/keys MSantispyware removed ??

Phil B
06-03-2005, 09:08 PM
Type. Trojan Downloader
Author. Sabasoft

Description. Aprogram that silently installs other programs without consent

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\.xx Backup
"" "" "" "" "" \.xx
"" "" "" "" "" \.xx
"" "" "" "" "" \.xx Content Type

Can't copy & paste directly from antispyware prog

Phil B
06-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Bloody things not wyswyg

beama
06-03-2005, 09:51 PM
I'm running spybot and the ms one side by side and found that what spybot misses the ms one will pick up and also the reverse is true what ms one misses spy bot picks up and I suspect the same could be said for adaware.
Its another tool that can be used, none of which are the perfect defence, but when used together, come close to perfection

ninja
06-03-2005, 10:22 PM
There have been stacks of threads on MS anti spyware.

The search is your friend.

tweak'e
06-03-2005, 10:33 PM
darn, just trying to see if MSspyware picked the whole thing up or just picked up leftovers the others progs didn't remove.

pctek
07-03-2005, 11:15 AM
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners." -- Ernest Jan Plugge

JJJJJ
07-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Been useing it for about a month. So far it hasn't found a single thing it doesn't approve of.
Still got to use ad-aware to remove tracking cookies. MS doesn't take any notice of them.
Jack

sambaird
07-03-2005, 11:32 AM
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners." -- Ernest Jan Plugge
I agree

pheonix
07-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Trouble is that Microsoft didn't make it. A company called Giant Software made it, and Microsoft has brought the company. they then proceeded to put there name on it and supposedly removed compatibility with Win95/98/ME. ( which the program had when put out by Giant).

Murray P
07-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Trouble is that Microsoft didn't make it. A company called Giant Software made it, and Microsoft has brought the company. they then proceeded to put there name on it and supposedly removed compatibility with Win95/98/ME. ( which the program had when put out by Giant).

Plus the ability to check some 3rd party app's, browsers other than IE for instance.

The crippled cababilites re software and OS is more to do with marketing than producing good functional software, which is a real shame because otherwise it looks like a good programme with a clean, easy to use, interface, and seems to carry out the functions it is enabled for more than capably.

Beta or not, MS's motives for doing this can only be viewed in a cycical light IMO. It's just another arrogant and shoddy peice of work from a company who seem to be, bit by bit, treading on their consumers (they don't have customers anymore) and, bit by bit, losing it.

pctek
07-03-2005, 04:08 PM

Yes but then Microsoft never actually "made" anything. They steal or buy other peoples software then stuff it up. Well, no to be fair - they did actually create the Office "paperclip" thingy.