PDA

View Full Version : lan card install

andlucas
06-03-2005, 07:58 PM
I just installed windows 2000 server, and downloaded lan card on CD.
And when I tried to run the CD, I get "directory error".
What is happening?
I need to use the internet. Help, please!!!

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 08:13 PM
I would redownload the driver for the lan card. From the site.

And install it from the hard drive.

The cd maybe stuffed or corrupted or something. What did u use to copy the file to this CD? What program??

Growly
06-03-2005, 08:13 PM
By lan card do you mean drivers for your network card or software called "lan card"?

andlucas
06-03-2005, 08:28 PM
I think I meant drivers. RIght now, I can't see the icon to set up TCP/IP, but with the lan card installed, I was told, I could see the icon and thus set up the TCP/IP, and fianlly use the internet. RIght?

andlucas
06-03-2005, 08:31 PM
I used a friend's computer, and she said the downloading program was built-in or so. Her os is windows XP. Is there any?
THe command was "write to CD", as simple as that, and I just clicked the line.
Could the program be a problem?
I will try to download it again. Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Ah ok umm thats XP's built in burning. I dont think that cd will work until it has been finalised. Thats why u get that error.

It will only work on hers until it is finalised. Nothing else.

If you think the drivers have been installed for that LAN card, I dont know what 2000 server looks like, go to control panel find the network icon.

See if the icon is here. If it is, highlight / right mouse / properties. See if there's something like whats on XP. Show icon in notification area when connected.

Or similar. Are you connected to a network with other computers?? If not, u dont need this to get onto the net...If you are, and you're not on the main PC, then yup u need the icon to put the info into its properties.

andlucas
06-03-2005, 08:51 PM
What does that mean, finalized?

I visited the site, and specified the lan card to down load that I was told fit to my computer, and saved it on CD.

In the control panel, right now, without lan card, I don't see the "local area connection" icon, which I need to set up TCP/IP, right? I only see "new connection.." icon.

The computer is connected to the internet through ISDN, this is school computer. I have my own IP.

Sigh...

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Finalised means u cant add anything else to the cd. If its still "open" and u can still write to the cd (with XP's built in cd burning), u cant use it.

DONT save a download straight to CD. Save it to the hard drive.

THEN install it. If its an exe file you downloaded.

If it isnt an exe file, or if there's no exe file in the file, you downloaded, unzip it, into a folder then if u see an entry in device manager for this lan card. go to it, and install the driver where u unzipped the file in a folder.

So the drivers for that lan card install.

andlucas
06-03-2005, 09:06 PM
so, the cd was open and was able to be written, but couldn't be used.
So, how do I finalize the cd, then?

And you meant, save the downloaded file to my friend's hard drive, and then copy or write it to cd, and then install it on my computer, right?

It is an exe file.

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 09:19 PM
I dont think u can finalise the CD. She has to since it was created on XP. NOT 2000 server.

If u have a floppy / disk drive and u downloaded the lan card drivers on her pc, copy it to floppy and copy it to your pc and then install it. Double click that file, since its an exe file, and it should install the drivers.