PDA

View Full Version : dvd writer, nero sw, and what else?

andlucas
06-03-2005, 05:22 PM
I am running windows 2000 server, and just purchased dvd writer, with which I can, mainly, as of now, download some music and burn cd. I've got Nero software for that.
Here is a question from a novice on computer. What else do I need for burning audio cd?
Thanks in advance!

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 05:33 PM
All you need are Mp3's /WMA files for music cd's so u can burn them with Nero. And blank cd's / dvds.

And Nero will either burn the MP3's so u can play them on any cd player

(Altho, if u burn MP3's as is to CD, you'll need a cd player that's MP3 compatible to play them (likewise for WMA). This is for a cd player other than the one installed on the PC.

And since u have a dvd burner, you can also burn videos, or whatever format Nero can recognise / load. And then u can edit / add titles etc before u burn whatever to DVD.

andlucas
06-03-2005, 05:42 PM
But still it is not working.
I connected the dvd burner, and I downloaded some music. I started Nero to burn the downloaded music, but when I got to the point to insert CD, Nero does not recognize it. Even after I inserted CD to write on, it keeps saying I should insert CD to burn on.
Do I need some kind of driver or so?

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 06:08 PM
The dvd burner u have, did it come with the version of Nero, thats installed??

ie: An OEM version of Nero??

Or did the version of Nero u have now, come with another burner, and u replaced the burner??

If the 2nd one, Nero WONT work, if its an OEM version. With another burner.
It's tied with the burner it came with.

If u replaced the original burner that came with the OEM version of Nero thats installed.

If you load Nero and then cancel, then go to Recorder Menu and Choose Recorder, your DVD burner doesnt appear here? If not the above is why.

What version of Nero is currently installed?? 5.xx or 6.xx?? And what's the brand / model of the DVD burner?

Also, does the dvd burner appear in My computer / windows explorer??

And did u jumper the dvd to master / slave on primary or secondary IDE connection? And then go into the BIOS and select secondary / master or slave?? So the BIOS knows it exists?

andlucas
06-03-2005, 07:03 PM
ok, it's the second case, since I borrowed nero from a friend of mine, and then purchased the dvd writer(in that order! :) ).

It's nero 5.xx version, and LG/GSA 5120D burner. I searched some help on the LG site but nothing about GSA 5120D.

The burner appears in My computer alright.

I don't know about the bios, master/slave ide and the like. I just connected the burner to the USB slot, and powered on, and tried to use it with Nero application, and it didn't recognize the empty cd I inserted.
How do I know that BIOS knows it exists? I think it is, though, because in the device manager, it shows dvd blah blah.

What about driver? Don't I need it or so?

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Ok. I think thats the prob then.

Since u can see it in My computer / windows explorer. It IS working. (the burner).

2000 doesnt need drivers (only if u want to access the cd in DOS).

However, since Nero didnt come with your burner (you borrowed it off a mate), and if the version of Nero you have was/is a OEM version (and when your mate got his burner), and the v of Nero you have now, came with his burner, I would say its an OEM. ie: The version of Nero, you have is tied to his burner ONLY.

And cant be run on your system. With the burner you have now. The only way to fix is, is to either download a later version of Nero
from http://www.nero.com

BUT then this is ONLY a demo and will expire, unless you buy it, or if u have a spare cd of Nero, install it, and hope it isnt an OEM belonging to someone / something else! And then put a serial number in it so it doesnt run out.

Didn't an OEM version of Nero come with the burner you purchased??

If it's USB there is no slave or master, so forget the BIOS / master / slave bit.

I think the firmware update (if u want to update) is here

http://www.lgservice.com/jsp/common/download.jsp?DOC_ID=KRSWL000012916&FILE_NAME=KRSWL000012916-b1-a1.zip&ORIGINAL_NAME_b1_a1=GSA-5120D_Board.zip&FILE_GUBUN=B

Which is from here

http://www.lgservice.com

andlucas
06-03-2005, 07:53 PM
no nero oem version with my burner, because it was a used one.
I will check out the site you referred to, and see what I can do to make it work.

Right now, i am getting "directory error" in trying to install lan card from CD, to use internet. I downloaded the lan card onto cd because i just installed windows 2000 server again. You don't know why, by any chance, do you? I am going to ask it on the new thread.
Thanks a lot!
What does OEM stand for, by the way?

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 08:05 PM
OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer

Sometimes u can purchase something OEM like Windows, if u purchase some kind of hardware. Or in the case of Nero, when u buy something like a burner, u may get an OEM version of Nero.

Which means the serial for that version of Nero is an OEM serial #. And will ONLY work with the burner you purchased with it.

Or in the case of the other burner I got I think it was an OEM burner. That means I get everything to connect the burner (ie: the burner ide cable, audio connection). Thats it. NO software comes with it.

paradox
06-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Hi ...Go to the address below for a good little burner program...it works fine on my LG burner--and its free. Cheers...Ken

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php

KatiMike
07-03-2005, 09:36 AM
or for burning music CDs from mp3s Musicmatch 9.0

http://www.musicmatch.com/download/plus/jukebox_9x2k_intro.htm?OEM=MMD&BTD=1&BISCOTTI=STANDARD

version10 requires XP